Trailer Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two suggestions:

a) Swap nitrogen for air to inflate trailer tires ; NASCAR has been running nitrogen in their tires for 15 years because the nitrogen allows the full tread to maintain contact with the road regardless of varying ambient temperature . Thermal buildup of air pressure, due to road friction, radiated road heat or loads can vary tire pressure and create uneven tire wear during trips. Nitrogen will not increase tire pressure with increased ambient temperature, road friction, radiated road heat or loads. Nitrogen also helps prevent dry rot of trailer tires when trailer is stored for extended periods.

b) Tandem torsion axles are installed on jigs at the manufacturer to insure alignment, with some being a fixed undercarriage and others with an adjustable undercarriage. Both types of undercarriage mounting systems can be realigned. We use a local truck alignment shop to check customer trailers for proper alignment.

c) Spring type tandem axles can also be realigned, and .more easily than torsion axles. Again, find a local truck alignment shop. It might be necessary to replace the axle mounting hardware, if the existing is corroded due due to salt water exposure or road salts.
    Judson[br]Finishing Touch[br]Marine Services[br]Fayetteville, Ga.

Comment

Based on your descriptions, it seems the front axle may be carrying more load than the rear, thus the increased tire wear. Have you pulled it across a scale in order to obtain individual axle loading?

Did I understand correctly, that for bearing pre-load, you back the bearing pre-load off 1/2 turn, after seating the bearing? I'm not sure how tight you had it seated, but a full 1/2 revolution of bearing play, is more than I would set them to.

I suggest pulling the nut up snug (~1-2 ft-lb torque), then back off until you feel a slight play in the bearing while rocking the top of the tire/wheel side-to-side, then back off only as far as required to get the cotter pin in place(typically the next castelation on the nut), and lock it down there.

On another topic...[]
      quote:

Originally posted by ninetogo

a) Swap nitrogen for air to inflate trailer tires ; NASCAR has been running nitrogen in their tires for 15 years because the nitrogen allows the full tread to maintain contact with the road regardless of varying ambient temperature . Thermal buildup of air pressure, due to road friction, radiated road heat or loads can vary tire pressure and create uneven tire wear during trips. Nitrogen will not increase tire pressure with increased ambient temperature, road friction, radiated road heat or loads. Nitrogen also helps prevent dry rot of trailer tires when trailer is stored for extended periods.

First off, ALL gas (nitrogen is a gas) will expand OR if constricted to a fixed volume, raise the gas pressure when heated, according to the formula known as "the ideal gas law"...
      The most frequently used form of that equation is;

PV=nRT

where P is the pressure of the gas, V is the volume of the gas, n is the amount of substance of gas (also known as number of moles), T is the temperature of the gas and R is the ideal, or universal, gas constant, equal to the product of Boltzmann's constant and Avogadro's constant.

The bottom line is that Nitrogen in a tire (while not purely correct, we will assume it to be a fixed volume) DOES increase pressures, with temperature changes JUST like compressed air does.

While pure nitrogen may not have as steep of a pressure response as compressed air, the difference is VERY small. Nitrogen is still is a gas, subject to the same laws of physics as compressed air.

Besides... By volume, nearly 80% (78.09 if you wish to be precise) of the air you breathe IS nitrogen...[]

THUS... Nitrogen replacement of compressed air for tires does not create sufficient "thermal expansion stability", nor life improvement to warrant the costs associated with using it for tire inflation purposes, for all but VERY limited special use situations, such as where the need to have a lack of oxygen in the inflation medium in highly combustible environments would be important, or for for situations where money is no object, and is thought to provide a racers advantage, such as the NASCAR teams you referenced.

For 100 years-plus, tires have been and continue to be designed and manufactured, specifically for the use of compressed air for thier inflation.
      Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

I went ahead and tightened down the nut for the hub and replaced the pin. I trailered her 2.5 hours each way on sunday and saw a difference. I marked the tires, both outside treads and middle of the tire and the markings look likle they are even on removal. I am hoping that was my issue. I did check tire pressure and it was right at 50psi cold per tire instructions. I also noticed through all this I lost a caliper bolt and the one bolt remaining was about to fall out. So I was able to save that problem. Thanks for all the help everyone. I hope this does help as the tires seemed to have a lot of play before I tightened the bolt to the hub.
        [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by snappergapper

I went ahead and tightened down the nut for the hub and replaced the pin. I trailered her 2.5 hours each way on sunday and saw a difference. I marked the tires, both outside treads and middle of the tire and the markings look likle they are even on removal. I am hoping that was my issue. I did check tire pressure and it was right at 50psi cold per tire instructions. I also noticed through all this I lost a caliper bolt and the one bolt remaining was about to fall out. So I was able to save that problem. Thanks for all the help everyone. I hope this does help as the tires seemed to have a lot of play before I tightened the bolt to the hub.

Cool Beans...
          Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Working...
          X