Spray Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray Rails

I am looking for ways to make my 22 Ft CC dryer.

I seam to get a lot of Spray kicking up at us when we are running up and down Long Island Sound and NY Harbor.

Do any of you use Spray Rails on your boats.

Do they help keep the Spray down?

I will also be installing a pair of Trim tabs this month which I am hoping will allow me to adjust the Bow and List of the boat when the sees are working against me. I think this will also help.

One of the companies I am looking at it Smart Rails.

http://www.thesmartrail.com/

Troy
    2000 World Cat 246 DC, Twin Honda 130 HP[br]Home Port: Rockland County NY[br]Fishing Grounds: Boat is trailered so I go where the fish are in RI, CT, NY, & NJ.[br]I am always looking to grow my fishing knowledge and friends, so if you see me on the water stop and say hi.[br]

Hey man, I have no experience with the spray rails, but i would think they would work some if positioned properly. basically your just adding a reverse chine to the outer part of the hull.

i would install your trim tabs first and see if that does the trick, trim tabs can greatly help your ride in alot of different conditions. Good luck[]
    [br]Budd Dahl[br]1990 ChrisCraft - See my rebuild/refurb thread here.http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=483913[br]1990 254 Chris Craft SeaHawk[br]1988 22\'GradyWhite Seafarer (gone)[br]1976 19\'Mako (gone)[br]1977 15\'Mako (gone)

Comment

I assume you mean when you're up on plane.

I don't think spray rails will help you. They do help on some displacement type hulls or hulls that don't have a hard chine.

Center consoles are generally a wet boat when conditions are not favorable, wind and waves, some wetter than others.

I would suggest putting some front and side panels on your t-top, assuming you have a t-top.
      2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

Troy,

I have installed 4 sets of smart rails on the Shamrocks that I have owned. The Shamrocks were semi-planing hulls that ran real flat and made contact with the water forward of the helm station. They would take spray with only a 10 mph wind blowing. I added 2 sets to each boat. 1 on the chine and 1 up on the hull side. I may have effectivly knocked down 30% of the spray. Those boats were so bad my dad used to referr to them as "the sub" for in the right conditions, the windows were constantly awash. But with a roof and full glass, who cared. I have wondered if anything would help my 17 Mako and the answer is NO. I am taking spray that is getting blown back on the boat by the wind and a 1.5" wide plastic rail down on the chine would not help that. I am assuming you have one of the older 22's with the low gunnels and relatively flat bottom. The low gunnel does not help knock down some of the spray. I ran a 21 for a while adn my dad has a 192 with higher gunnels and they are not near as wet as the 17 is. You may try running with the bow higher so you are making contact with the water farther back and by the time the spray gets to you, you have driven past it...the only way to stop it entirely like the other guy said is with curtains.
        Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Its hard to compare a 40 foot boat with added rails to any of these trailer queens. Windseas or chop and windseas on top of swells will allow spray and water to act differently up the sides of the hulls. If you are running fast, few rails will work with the bow of the boat is shoved down into the water, since you catch up with the spray if the sea is a combination of swell with the windsea on top.

This is a boat with rails and a combination of swell and windsea.

You are closer to the water and you have less of a flare foward in most of the makos.

Trim angle do help with uneven loading which can cause the side angles to differ or even torque pull on the top end, which will sometimes make the boat layover in its side.. But with the bow up and attempting to run on plane at your normal cruising speed, its almost a given that you will get wet if you attempt to make the ride better by shoving the bow down with assistance of the tabs and any sized appropiate rails for your particular boat.

Comment

Start with trim tabs!!!!!

Comment

SWEEEEEET!!!!

1989 Mako 231[br]200 HP Mariner EFI[br]Breckenridge, Colorado[br]

Comment

It is not a Mako but very similar in hull Design.

It is a company called Offshore Yatchs in FL.

22 Ft Center Console I rebuilt using this site and advise from members.

Here is a Photo of the Exterior.

http://www.the-real.com/mako/details.php?image_id=1535

It is a very sea worthy boat and Dry in low wind conditions with swells upto 5 FT. It is wet when the wind is blowing picking up the spray and trowing it at the Helm.

I think the tabs will help and I also am in the process of adding a Clear Vinely windshield to the T-Top.

Was also thinking a Bow Dodger might help but the Spray comes on board more near the front of the Helm.

I own a lot of Rain gear, bring it on board, now I just need to start wearing it
                2000 World Cat 246 DC, Twin Honda 130 HP[br]Home Port: Rockland County NY[br]Fishing Grounds: Boat is trailered so I go where the fish are in RI, CT, NY, & NJ.[br]I am always looking to grow my fishing knowledge and friends, so if you see me on the water stop and say hi.[br]

Comment

Working...
                X