Steering Tube Removal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Tube Removal Question

I've got an 89 Johnson 150 with a rusty steering tube. I just bought a new tube to replace the rusty one. Now, can anyone tell me what the procedure is for removing the steering tube? Thanks!

Ray

Gulf Breeze

Hang the engine from a flywheel lifting ring. The engine can remain bolted to the boat. Remove one of the two large tilt-tube end nuts & beat out the old tube. It's best sometimes to buy both new tilt-tube nuts. Thoroughly degrease/clean the clamp bracket holes & lightly grease both tube and clamp bracket holes & reinstall new tube & nuts. There may be a couple friction washers sandwiched between the clamp bracket halfs that you want to make sure you retain in place. You can remove & clean/regrease/reinstall them as well. Zerk(grease) fittings are usually installed from the factory to allow future grease gun use in this area. Does this help? LoveMyMako[]

Comment

I think this will help. I guess I'll know soon enough! I bought new nuts, washers and bushings when I bought the tube. Thanks for the response. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ray

Gulf Breeze

Comment

Finally got the nuts off of the tube with a lot of heat and elbow grease. Unfortunately, it still will not budge! Even with the motor partially suspended. I noticed that there are 4 small plastic plugs near the grease zerks. Are there screws in these holes that help hold the tube in place? Also, the old bushings are metal and seem to have welded themselves to the tube. This may be the biggest problem. Help!

Ray

Gulf Breeze

Comment

I don't know if this is the answer to your problem, but I would consider using saws-all and cut a section of the tube out in the middle. Then press the remaining ends inward through the motor bracket. No since in killing yourself to keep the old one whole.

Just a thought.

Comment

I had another thought: If the engine itself hinges on the tube,the amount of lift that you exert on the engine will be crucial. any weight +/- will make a significant bind on removing the tube.

Comment

Good thought! Saws all is a marvelous tool. I hadn't considered that, but it's a possibility. I'll try lifting on the motor again as well. Thanks again!

Ray

Gulf Breeze

Comment

Working...
              X