No announcement yet.

2002 PATHFINDER PULL MY NEW(OLD) MAKO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 PATHFINDER PULL MY NEW(OLD) MAKO?

HELLO ALL! I AM NEW TO THE FORUM, BUT HAVE TO SAY THAT I HAVE BEEN READING FOR QUITE SOME TIME NOW. YOU ALL HAVE SOME GREAT IDEAS AND ALOT OF KNOWLEDGE TO BE SHARED. I JUST PURCHASED A 1985 MAKO M-20C. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU GUYS THINK MY 2002 RWD PATHFINDER (3.5L V-6) WOULD PULL IT OUT AT THE BOAT RAMP OKAY?. I WANT TO TAKE HER TO THE KEYS THIS SUMMER AND I THINK IT WOULD PROBALLY TOW IT, BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT GETTING HER OUT OF SOME OF THE NOT SO GOOD RAMPS... SO... WHAT DO YOU THINK?. BY THE WAY I AM LOOKING AT A DODGE RAM 1500 2WD WITH A HEMI AS AN ALTERNATIVE. I APPREICIATE ALL THE INPUT AND WHEN I'M NOT SO EMBARRASED BY THE SHAPE OF THE OL GAL, I'LL SUBMIT SOME PICTURES.. AND YES.. THEY WILL BE BEFORE AND AFTER.[](HA HA). THANKS
    FIRECHICK

Your pathfinder should pull it fine, but don't expect to go 70 mph down the Interstate...and of course, don't drive with it in 5th gear or "D" (not sure if you have an auto or manual tranny). The would be VERY happy with a truck the size of the dodge if it as a V-8 engine. Pulling out of the ramp shouldn't be a problem with either truck as long as your rear tires are on dry pavement.

Also, please take the CAPS lock key off. It's like you are yelling!

I have the same model boat and I love mine. What engine do you have on the back?
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Sorry about the caps on thing. Me being lazy.... I have a 1996 Johnson 175 Outboard powering it. I took it for a test drive and the thing will get on a plane and thats about it. Since then a friend and I have been spending all of our days rewiring the electrical componets of the boat. So once we get all the gauges in working order, I am going to take her for a run and see what kind of rpm's she's turning. I haven't had the compression checked on the engine. The hour meter shows 350 hours. I don't think thats very accurate. Hard to tell. Thanks for the advice on the pathfinder. I love it and would hate to part but I love my mako more![]
      FIRECHICK

Comment

I'd like to know what kind of performance you get with the 175 when you get to that point.
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

We used a Jimmy with a V6 to pull our 21 with no problems. Took it to the keys on many trips and never had a problem on any of the ramps. The Dodge with a V8 would be even better. The Jimmy had a 4.3L V6 so it is a little bigger than your Pathfinder but the 21 is also alot more boat. Best bet is to hook her up and tow her around. Take it on the highway around noon with the air cranked up and see how your rig performs. If it is lacking the step up to the bigger truck. You do not want to be stuck in the keys on a busy weekend traffic with a truck that cant pull your boat and crank the a/c at the same time. Good luck with your new ride.
          1987 231 with 200 Yamaha[br]Stuart, Fl

Comment

Thany you all for the input. I will hook her up as soon as I get home. I had to run up to South Carolina. Hopefully its adequate and I won't have to step up to a biiger truck and fuel bill!. By the way... Gas is $1.89 a gallon today. Its sad to think thats cheap!.
            FIRECHICK

Comment

Pathfinder's are notorious for cooking their automatic transmission fluid. Have the transmission fluid changed and the cooler and lines flushed after every serious tow.
              [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Hi Firechick,

Let me add my welcome here![]

Your vehicle should work just fine. A couple of things you want to do though since trailering here in Florida is tough on tow vehicles...

#1. Make sure you get a transmission oil cooler installed on your Pathfinder -- it'll keep you from cooking the transmission fluid. They're not expensive.

#2. Check and make sure your engine cooling system is up to the task. Do you have a heavy-duty radiator? It's not essential, but nice to have. I would get my cooling system flushed to make sure it's working properly.

The Johnson 175hp should be a great engine for your boat. Once you get things where they need to be, get it checked out. Could be the carburators need to be rebuilt/cleaned and just a few other things. Those older OMC Johnson/Evinrudes were solid engines.

While your rightly focused on the boat & engine, don't neglect the trailer. If you're not sure of the condition of the bearings/seals; get them replaced. Also, the lights.

Great to have you on the board!

Prop Blast
                Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Hi Firechick,

I have an '87 20C with a 1996 175 Johnson that I bought last fall. My engine runs great, pops up on plane quick and runs 42 mph in calm water.

Boating in the keys is awesome, have fun.
                  Jim Devlin [br]Alvin, TX[br]1987 Mako 20C

Comment

I pulled the 87 Mako20 with a 1990 Montero (3.0 V6 150hp) fine. Had absolutely no trouble on the ramp. If your trailer's in good shape, don't worry about it.
                    Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Working...
                    X