Looking to sell motor, need help with price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to sell motor, need help with price

My boss (owner of the marina) asked me to give him a price on my 1985 Suzuki DT75... including all wiring harnesses, control cables, guages, AND installation.

The motor runs great, and has about 60 or 70 hours since the rebuild.

I was thinking $1000 for the motor and ~$500 for the extras and installation.

I want to give him a fair price, as in I don't want to rip him off and lose my job and the house I'm renting from him... but also don't want to give something away to a guy who wouldn't miss the money anyways.
    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

NADA says $150 - $180
    Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Comment

Hi, Andy-

Bwana is right - Low retail is $85 and Av retail is $180 on NADA.com. But I looked to see how long they made the DT's... the last year was 1997, it seems. A '97 DT75 is $1890 low retail and Average retail is $2250. Your motor is not, of course, a '97, but with a good rebuild, it's probably worth something closer to the '97's than the '85's. I guess the bottom line is that with equipment this old, the value is in the life expectancy rather than in its resale value... a great motor to buy and use, but a crappy motor to buy to resell. Not sure if this helps, but good luck with the deal!

Win
      It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

Yeah, well... I knew what NADA said, but was hoping for anyone's real life experience.

How about this: what does normal "installation" run at an actual boat dealership/mechanic?
        \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

My experience is that NADA is not a good guide to determine value of outboards in real life. I have seen where it is way off. I sold a 87 40hp Suzuki for $900 and a 1980's 15HP Evinrude for $650. NADA had them for alot less. Here is something similar to yours without a lower unit. Maybe see what this ends up at?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...549342415&rd=1
          Sarasota, Florida

Comment

fishthis, thanks. Your 40hp gives me reason to think that what I'm asking is fair.

Nada prices my DT140s at $1530 each, and I KNOW I got a bargain for the pair at $3500.

Comment

Working...
            X