224 fish box ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 224 fish box ?

Do any of you use built in fish boxes? How is insulation? The manual states the boxes on back sides are insulted boxes, but seem small, not very insulated, and hard to clean. The big compartment in the front deck seems perfect, but do not know about insulation, the manual states good place for a portable head. I want to cover all basis before maiden voyage. I fished a buddies late model wellcraft and went to get my red snapper out of "insulated" fish box and they were white with skin falling off (I bought him a big igloo for b'day).
    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

I HAVE A 86 228 I THOUGHT THE BOXES WERE SMALL, DID NOT HOLD ICE WELL AND, PREVENTED ME FROM GETTING TO THE GUNNEL TO LAND FISH. MINE ARE GONE NOW. AND I HAVE ALOT MOORE ROOM IN THE BOAT. I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN OLDER BOAT AND VERY FEW NEW ONES THAT HELD ICE WELL.
    OVER BUDGET[br]PEARLAND TX

Comment

Mine are cut out. Ringleader's are cut out. AnnieII's are cut out. I'm sure there are more that have been cut out.

Comment

Get rid of them.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ChuckB

Do any of you use built in fish boxes? How is insulation? The manual states the boxes on back sides are insulted boxes, but seem small, not very insulated, and hard to clean. The big compartment in the front deck seems perfect, but do not know about insulation, the manual states good place for a portable head. I want to cover all basis before maiden voyage. I fished a buddies late model wellcraft and went to get my red snapper out of "insulated" fish box and they were white with skin falling off (I bought him a big igloo for b'day).

If you're planning on them keeping ice for more than an hour or two, you'll be sadly dissapointed... I use the ones on my 1983 model 224, for storage of vests, ropes, etc...

Good Luck... OB1
          Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

I have to agree with OB1, I use mine for storage.

But, keep in mind that it's not "dry" storage.

If you want to keep fish cold bring a cooler.

I usually keep my stripers in the baitwell in the floor. I am only a couple miles from the dock, so I don't need to keep them that cold.
            1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

I have one of my side boxes converted into a livewell with an overboard drain. It is perfect for stripers up to 30 pounds. I can usually get 2 nice bass in there. Stripers don't fit in the floor livewell. I use the floor livewell when I go flounder or wreck fishing.

PS... As for cooler space...On a 224 if you open the front of your console you will notice a lip molded into the floor. This allows you to place a 54 Quart Igloo in there without it moving around. I just pack the cooler with ice and use the ice as needed.

Comment

Best thing I ever did with mine was remove them. You'll pick up 6+ valuable sq. feet.
                Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

What do you mean by removing them? Can't you just keep the lids shut and have the space? How do you remove them?
                  [br]1992 Mako 241[br]2000 Yamaha 150 HPDI\'s[br]Holden Beach, NC

Comment

Sawzall! Here's some pix.

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/...carpenter1.htm
                    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I plan to be ready to fish in 2 weeks. Next year I hope to repower and go with solid transom and bracket. I will fish this season and see if fish boxes serve any purpose or just get in the way and make my decision to keep or remove at that time.
                      \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
                      \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Annie2

Sawzall! Here's some pix.

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/...carpenter1.htm

[88][88][88][88]

That's a "classic" answer. saw that one coming a mile away.
                        Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Mako 224,
                          quote:

Stripers don't fit in the floor livewell.

I would have to disagree, unless yours is smaller for some reason.

I have had 2-3 38" bass in mine a bunch of times.

They don't lay flat that's for sure but you can close the cover.
                          1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

Some box's have a little more value than other's. These have NO value.

They don't hold much, Are alway's wet inside and will trip your ass.

When your toe's touch them there is no place to balance yourself with your knee's.

Understand that this is a ealy '70's boat and the side's are lower on it.

Comment

That is one flaw I would have to credit makos with: an absence of footwells around the gunnels.

This makes balance while leaning over the side tricky; I can see how the fishboxes comound this.
                              ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X