Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, dredged up old post when I fixed the pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, dredged up old post when I fixed the pics!

***FORGIVE ME! Tried to fix the picture links on this old post and brought it to the top again! Sorry!************

1988 171 Standard - new to me 1995 Johnson 115hp[br]1973 17 Standard - STILL looking for a nice used engine for this hull![br]\"You\'re gonna need a bigger boat.\"[br]Providence River Boat Company[br]http://www.providenceriverboat.com/[br]M/V Proud Mary[br]28\' Sylvan Supreme/90HP Evinrude Etec (tour/charter boat)[br]Providence, RI[br]Become a fan of the Providence River Boat Company on Facebook![br]

Does it run???? how's the trailer , floors , transom?? I got my '74 17 for 2k with a 2 yr old aluminum trail, and it runs great,
    Richard[br]Panama City,FL[br]Currently Looking for a MAKO[br]America needs Obamacare like Nancy Pelosi needs a halloween mask[br]

Comment

Looks like a good project boat. I'd look for the things you've listed as well as the Gas tank and the fill plumbing. That seems to be in relatively good condition for sitting around for a decade. Look for soft spots on the hull near where it was sitting on the trailer/jack stands etc. Either way, if you get that for a grand or so, you're in luck. Hopfuly the engine works. I over paid for mine but that's me.

Good Luck !!

SB
      Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

After 10 or 11 years sitting there I would be shocked if the engine was in running condition. The trailer looks pretty good except for the tires (and more then likely the bearings). Exterior hull looks excellent, no spots anywhere. I climbed up and walked around on the deck and did not feel any soft spots, and I'm 225lbs. That's not to say they aren't there, but nothing jumped out at me. The transom looks ok. There are some small cracks at the corners of the cutout. They don't look too serious, but this is not an area I would trust my own judgement on. I'm going to post some more pics below that I took today. If someone could look over the transom shots and let me know what they think about the small cracks, I would appreciate it!

Thanks, Tom

Here's the trailer tire:

Starboard transom:

Port transom:

Interior deck:

1988 171 Standard - new to me 1995 Johnson 115hp[br]1973 17 Standard - STILL looking for a nice used engine for this hull![br]\"You\'re gonna need a bigger boat.\"[br]Providence River Boat Company[br]http://www.providenceriverboat.com/[br]M/V Proud Mary[br]28\' Sylvan Supreme/90HP Evinrude Etec (tour/charter boat)[br]Providence, RI[br]Become a fan of the Providence River Boat Company on Facebook![br]

Comment

If you don't buy it I will! [:x)][:x)]

Nothing there bothers me as much as those cracks on the transom.
          \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

yeah, i imagine you will have to rebuild transom, floor and probably do some stringer work. Of course new power, controls, steering, and electrical. But thats the easy part. After that I guess it would just depend on how pretty you wanted to make her. Looks like a good project. I would immagine you could get in for less than $500. Sometimes you can tell them "I will get rid of that boat for you for free" and they are excited because they don't have to pay to get it hauled away. Where are you in RI (not trying to poach the boat, just curious.)

__Zac__
            2006 Northcoast 19[br]East Greenwich, RI

Comment

Has the plug been left in the boat? Are there any signs of water sitting in the bilge that could have saturated the transom?

the Cracks don't look good. If you can get a hot battery and trim the engine all the way up, shake the engine up and down from the skeg as hard as you can and observe the transom. If it is rotten it will flex badly!!!

Comment

tree included?
                [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

Comment

The cracks are the only thing that bother me at all. When I went back for the second set of pics I took a good look at the gel coat, and other then the dirt and mold/mildew it looks in rather great shape. I think it would clean up nicely with a little compound and wax. It does not have any power TNT so I lifted the engine up and set it in the tow position by hand. Put all my weight on it and the transom didn't budge. What does this mean? I have no idea. This would be my first dealings with a transom issue. One of the first things I did look at originally was if the bilge plugs were in, they are not, so it has not been holding water all this time....although with all of the leaves/debris in there I suspect it to be somewhat damp...to say the least. If I do get ahold of this boat and it needs a new transom what can I expect to pay for someone to do that? It's not something I would tackle myself. If any of you could give me a ballpark figure, I would appreciate it. I'm in Providence, RI, by the way. If anyone can recommend someone to repair this, I would be interested in talking to them. And I am hoping to pay less then $500 for the boat. We'll see! I sold my last Whaler 8 years ago, so I'm actually kind of excited about getting into this one. Great site!

Russ T, I can cut you a great deal on that tree if I get the boat. Let me know. I have no need for extra shrubbery at this time!

Comment

Here are my two cents. There is most likely some amount of rot in the transom. However, the cracks look very superficial and not very serious in my opinon. With what you said about the transom seeming solid I would say that you have several years left in the transom before you need to do surgery.

Another test would be to take a rubber mallet or your knuckle and tap all of the transom listening for hollow sounds. If it all sounds solid it probably means there is no delamination. If I were you I would go for it.

Cliff
                    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

I agree with SeaReel on the transom, but use a plastic headed hammer. A rubber one does not work near as well.

I'd give that boat a good washing with plenty of stright cheap bleech and a scrup brush. Wet the boat first and of corse hose it off after.

It will come clean quick that way. You might want to start with a leaf blower.[:x)]

It would be faster to get it out of there with a roll back wrecker. That way you not fighting the lug nut's and stuff in someone else's yard. You would have it at your home and work at your own pace.

Comment

Got moss??

Seriously though, dont like the look of those cracks either. Not the way they run down anyways. But if that transom isnt budging with your weight on it, maybe you've got some time. My buddy recently had his transom replaced on his '69 19 mako, older local guy charged him $1500 which I thought was pretty good.

Transom and power issues aside...I bet that once you're done with the leafblower, go at it with a pressurewasher...I bet she cleans up real nice and relatively easy.

Definately move any VRO tank into one of those aft fishboxes, the smaller one to starboard is where we kept ours when we had the 17. I say move it because its an accident waiting to happen...ours got water on it one winter (teak covers were stored indoors)and it cracked...for whatever reason they have threaded indents on those tanks...subsequent leakage of the cover let water into the oil res and it ruined a real strong 2000+ hour 'rude. I think that engine would still be going if that hadn't happened.

I think you can get that boat for almost nothing...go for it!
                        1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

If you decide not to tackle this project let me know and i will buy it!!!
                          1991 18 ft parker[br]previous mako 1989 240[br]1989 231[br]1974 20.... whats left of it

Comment

On the Mississippi Gulf Coast a transom job on a boat this size (replacing transom form the inside; the only way in my opinion)

will run you anywhere from an acceptable job $900 to $3,000 where you can't tell it from factory original.

P.S.-If you decide to revive the engine disable the VRO system and mix the gas 50:1

Comment

Working...
                            X