Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

outboard question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • outboard question

    I am a relatively new owner of a mako 17 with a 88hp johnson outboard on it. Recently the waterflow coming out of the "pee hole" has reduced to a trickle. I don't know much about outboards or even boats being my first boat and all. I do know that the water circulation is used for cooling and I might be in for a major problem. The circulation increases with the throttle but still is not what it used to be. Could something be clogged in the system. I am a mechanic by trade, but jet engines are much different than old outboards. I would greatly appreciate any info, input or suggestions that come my way.
    panama city, Fl[br]1978 mako 17

  • #2
    I'm not sure what maintenance you have done in the past, but I would replace the impeller and thermostat(s) for starters. It could also be a blockage in the hose leading to the "pee hole" you may want to pull the hose and take a look.

    That's where I would start.

    David M
    Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

    Comment


    • #3
      Good advise,dtmackey, You should get a hold of a service manual, I think you might even find one at the library. dave
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

      Comment


      • #4
        Jamie, your "pee hole" is nothing but an indicator that your impellor is working and only shoots out about 5% of the actual water. The other 95% of the cooling water exits through your lower unit, most likely through your prop. You probably just have something clogged in your "pee hole", maybe a stone? haha. SO pull the hose to it and poke a paperclip up there or blow it out with compressed air. If that doesn't do anything, it's probably a bad impellor if you haven't changed it in the past couple years
        [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

        Comment


        • #5
          Take a piece of 100 lb leader material and fish it up the pee hole and work it around a bit and the stream should return to normal. By the way you should change the impeller at least every three seasons.

          Comment


          • #6
            Impellors are cheap. Cooked engines are expensive. I have to do some research and find out who said, "A wise man learns from his mistakes, but a brilliant man learns from the mistakes of others".
            It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

            Comment


            • #7
              If you dont know when the impeller was changed then I would suggest you change it anyway. Preventive Maintanance is always a good thing.
              A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. [br]Northport Occupied NY[br]1989 191 w/120 Evinrude

              Comment


              • #8
                Pull the pee hose from the block and then Rotor Route it. That way your not pushing a obstruction back into the motor to reclog it at a latter date. If that doesn't clear it up. Then I suggest a "Whole" waterpump kit. not just an impeller.

                That way you will have a baseline on the motor.

                Comment


                • #9
                  you can get the water pump kit at panama marine for $53 , I just replace mine last week and what a difference it made
                  Richard[br]Panama City,FL[br]Currently Looking for a MAKO[br]America needs Obamacare like Nancy Pelosi needs a halloween mask[br]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you all for your advice. I am going to make sure i don't have anything stuck in the water tube and get the waterpump kit. Is the waterpump/impeller located in the engine compartment?
                    panama city, Fl[br]1978 mako 17

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Its in the lower unit. Drop the unit and the impeller is on the drive shaft inside a housing.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X