Can I pull Mako with this truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I pull Mako with this truck

Before I start looking for a trailer I thought I would ask the question. I currently have a 78 25 CC W/T-Top. Suppose the boat weights 5000Lbs. Thats boat, moter 225HP Yamaha, full fuel 130 gal, and gear. This calculation might be a little on the light side due to water absortion with I am sure is there. Tow Vehicle is 2005 Chevy Express 2500HD 8600# GVW. Truck has a 6.0L 300hp engine, 3.75 locking differential axel. According to owners manual it can tow 8400LBS. What would a trailer weight in at? I would not drag boat more than 500mi a year because it sits in the water at it's own slip all summer. But it would be nice to have one so I could take it home with out paying the hauler and to trailer to other area's to fish. Truck is under factory GM warranty until 100K.

Thanks,Russ T
    [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

Your trailer probably weighs 800-1000 pounds. I dont think your 3/4 ton truck should have a problem with that boat.
    Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Comment

Dude... you can tow the Queen Mary with that
      1991 18 ft parker[br]previous mako 1989 240[br]1989 231[br]1974 20.... whats left of it

Comment

Heck, you may not even notice it is back there!!
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Have a look at this page.

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/...utherland7.htm

I have the Duramax Deisel with the Allison transmission and the same hull. I'm sure you won't have any problems with that vehicle and that boat. I had a Z71 before this truck that pulled it fine, but was sluggish (55mph max) on the highway. Going back and forth to the ramp was ok though. The 2500HD will pull down a house.
          Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

We should all give the truck a B-G transmission FLUSH every 30,000 at least, to help protect that $3000 tranny. You Ram truck owners should do it more frequently than that. Check with a good mechanic. Mark
            \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

I think you would be able to pull at least a small part of the Mako factory with that truck. Be sure to use your blinker and take the corners wide when needed. [][]

SB
              Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

mchar I'm not a big fan of these shop's that just do a flush.

On the Ford truck's, they have a drain plug in the convertor.

I get it drained and pull the pan. R&R the filter and clean the pan every 30,000. It hold's 14qt's that way.

PS also blow thru the tranny cooling lines to get that out too.

Comment

I pull my 77 25cc and galvanized trailer with a Denali w/ a 6litre engine. No problem. You are fine.
                  Rooster[br]1977 25CC[br]New Orleans, La[br][br]

Comment

Your kidding, right? Since I totaled my suburban I have been towing a 3000 lb shamrock and my 17 mako with a 3.0 v6 ranger all over hell and back. Ya buddy you can tow that baby without a problem.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. I am now looking for a trailer for mako. If anyone has one or knows of one in New England please email me thanks, Russ T
                      [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

Comment

Hey Russ-

Give me a call at 617-657-0050. I work for Gifford Marine in the Boston area and can give you a quote on three trailer brands (LOAD RITE, VENTURE AND ROAD KING).

By the way, I used to tow my 1991 23 Mako and trailer all over New England with a 96 Bronco without any problems. The 2500 HD will be more than adequate.

-Ed-

Comment

Wart - it's my understanding that all the fluid in the converter and tranny is removed, a cleaning fluid is recirculated then removed, all via a power pump w/ about 40 qts of the fluid. That's the B-G way, any how. I'm not surprised, though, that you like to do it yourself, that seems to be the way you are! (By the way, the console on the X looks great!). Mark
                          \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

I don't think that truck will do it.....I have a 1500 GMC and a F-150 that I pull my 254 with that should be a better suit for you and your application. You willing to trade?

Just kidding.[]
                            1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

Comment

This vehicle is not a pick up truck it is a 2500HD series cargo van

Comment

Working...
                              X