instrument panel cleaning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• instrument panel cleaning question

My mako has the wood laminated ? panel it is starting to fade.Any ideas on a way to bring it back to newer looking.furniture polish ect....

thanks[8D]
    88 171 90 merc[br]ipswich ma

If you're talking about the faux wood lamination-

Believe it or not, and I certainly didnt until I saw it, an old salt told my buddy that, best way to restore the same stuff that is all over the interior of his 31 Bert, is to wipe it down with -this is not a typo- Mayonaise.

Came out great.

Go figure.
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Replace it!

I went from this:

To this:

If you retain all the same gauges and swtiches, the expense is minimal. Probably $20 for the material and a little of your time to cut and assemble everything.

I've got about $300 in the panel you see above. But that's because I replaced EVERYTHING and had the switch funcions engraved into the panel! [] Ed was my inspiration. []
      Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

I just picked up some new engraving material... This stuff is 1/4" thick! No more flimsey 1/8" stock. Its from Rowmark, heavy weights division.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

SWEET!!!! []

Are you gonna use it to make a name tag for the baby's bedroom door? []
          Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Where do you get the material, and who does the engraving? Can I get a duplicate of my Mako switch panel -- complete with the Mako logo?

Jim
            [br]1992 Mako 241[br]2000 Yamaha 150 HPDI\'s[br]Holden Beach, NC

Comment

Jim,

If you have any trophy and/or sign shops in your area check with them. Check the link below to determine what engraving stock you want and they should be able to order if for you. And most of the time, if you give them a template, they can easily copy it for you.

http://www.rowmark.com/secondary.asp...ls/default.asp

I've gotten great results using the Ultra-Mattes, but Ed is correct. With only an 1/8" of thickness, they can't support much weight. If you need to make a larger panel, go with the 1/4" Heavy Weight as he suggested.

Good luck. []
              Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Mako with mayo. Yep- I have used mayo on wood to clean and polish and to remove glass rings from wood finishes. I think the mixture of oil and the little bit of vinegar in it do some magic things... maybe the eggs... there is definitely some positive chemistry at work. Though a whole new setup might look nicer, the mayo might do the trick in the meantime. But hold the lettuce and tomato.

Win
                It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

I had the oxidation stains on my fake wood panel on my 88 171. After reading this post, I immediately went home and slathered it up w/ mayo- left it on for 2 hrs. It worked pretty well, I should have taken some pics of before and after. When I washed it off, however, much of the shine that appeared to return left w/ the mayo. Was 2 hrs. long enough for mayo to work full effect? Without wanting to permanently stain the fake wood, anyone think teak, linseed, or baby oil would keep return some gloss to it?
                  88 Mako 171, 115 E-TEC, [br]85 Mako 285, Twin 250 Yamahas [br]Annapolis, MD[br][IMG]

Comment

I had the same problem on my 73'. I rough sanded the panels then used a finer paper to smooth out. Then I used the same Sikkens Cetol that I refinished the teak with and the results were great.
                    Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

Working...
                    X