Electrolysis Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrolysis Help Needed

Where I dock my boat this year a good amount of electrolysis has formed on the owners boat. It is a 3 year old Parker with a diesel engine and a Bravo 3 Outdrive. The complete Zinc system has been eroded and all of the ground terminals are also heavily corroded. There is also signs of rusting on all the painted metal components of the engine. Question is, there is a 30' alluminum boat docked realtively close by that constantly has shore power connected to it, or is there an errant or broken ground somewhere on the engine and drive system? The engine does not trim or tilt on dry dock so I feel the the ground system has been compromised. Another boat at the house is a 23' Whaler with a 225 merc but does not show the same detoriation. Any help would be greatly appreciated as mine is also a stern drive.

Thanks

Tom
    Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Not enough zinc, or too much, can cause problems. There are calculations that Naval Architects can do to properly size and install the correct amount needed. This may or may not be the problem, just my 2 cents.....

Comment

I run an Alpha One I/O, but don't keep it in the water all the time. Though, I do know that anything that sets up a charge discharge can cause corrosion. My boat is also aluminum which makes corrosion a bigger problem because of the dissimilar metals between the engine and the hull. grneggz is right about not enough or too much zinc plate. I know that Mercruiser also has an electronic corrosion control system that you can purchase for all of their I/O's.

As for a problem with a neighbor's shore power, he could be the culprit with a bad ground or non-isolated negative in his electrical system.

As for your I/O, just make sure that you have all of your continuity straps in place (INCLUDING THE STEERING STRAP!), and start with the factory installed zinc plates for your Mercruiser (make sure they are not overyly pitted and NOT PAINTED). Otherwise you should be fine. As for the motor itself, make sure you keep any rust sanded, primed, and touched up.

In a boat like mine, it's nearly impossible to isolate the electrical from the ground of the hull. Corrosion will happen no matter what, but you can at least slow it down so you can keep up with it.

-Pat.
      18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

If this problem never happened before it could be that there is a problem with the marina wiring and it is coming from the next boat. I'll look to see if I have a troubleshooting guide
        Alabat - Cajun for \"Hey over there\"[br]1973 - 17 Mako Angler 115HP Suzuki[br]Houma, Louisiana[br]Home of the best Red fishing in the world

Comment

SOME OF THE BRAVO II'S HAVE A HISTORY OF ELECTROLIS. LOOK AROUND ON THE NET YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF UN HAPPY OWNER'S THE LAST I HERD MERCRUSIER HUNG THEM OUT TO DRY.
          OVER BUDGET[br]PEARLAND TX

Comment

Working...
          X