No announcement yet.

New old Topic starboard (care/cleaning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old Topic starboard (care/cleaning)

MY Mako 25 has lots of teak, all varnished starting to peal off. My question is how is teak properly cared for cleaning/oil ect. must it be sanded clean then oiled I really dont have a good idea. read a post last night (dont remove teak ) think i want to keep it. just want info on proper care. also was told if i revarnish it it will peal again in a year. thanks for help
    Carolinafishin[br]1978 Mako 25 CC[br]twin 225 rudes[br]Carolinabeach, NC[br]

There is nothing better than clean looking teak on a boat. I realize that there are members that have opted to remove the teak and replace it with starboard. I personally like the rich look of teak on the old classics. I removed all the teak on mine and used the 2 part cleaner to remove all the years of grime and dirt. I then used Sikkens Cetol to finish it off. The directions called for 3 coats to properly protect the finish, but being as I am, I used 5. I am more than pleased with the outcome. Supposedly the finish is to last 2 years with only a maintenance coat in between. Another product you might want look into is the Signature Series, Honey Teak finish. Good luck and don't do away with the teak.
    Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

I used Cetol - put 4 to 5 coats also. Been a year now & still looks great
      Dan[br]Pass Christian, Ms[br](currently in Slidell, La since that little thunderstorm in 05!)

Comment

Working...
      X