Gas and Pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas and Pitch

I just change my propellers from 23 to 21 pitch. What is the impact of that change in gas consumption?
    JAPD

Depends on what your boat and motor were doing before the changes. A lower pitch on a prop will usually give you more "power" (for a better hole shot) but less miles per gallon. You also could run into a motor that is now over reving (over the manfactures WOT) as you didn't say what you WOT was before this change.

Mike
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Above is correct. 23P sounds pretty damn high, usually only see those kind of pitches on bass boats, unless of course you're hanging mucho HP.

I dropped 2" in pitch on our 261 to get RPMs up a bit, went from stock s/s yam wheels to 17p Stiletto's. Speed remained pretty much the same across the board except top end where I actually gained. My burn ended up dropping a hair across the board as the engines weren't working as hard to turn the wheels.
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

What is the diameter of the 17P Stilettos? Were the stock Yams 13.75Inches?
        Al Caletri[br]1987 26\' Mako CC[br]Narragansett, RI

Comment

I try the pitch 21 today. I get the boat to 5000 rpms and reach 49 mph. I will know about gas consumption when I fill it tomorow. Is the motor more gas eficient in high or low speds?

Mako 251, 1989 with twin 225.
          JAPD

Comment

Working...
          X