water pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump question

i know most of you have outboards but i am hoping someone with more knowledge than myself can answer me this question. ive got a 97 5.7 mercruiser with an alpha 1 drive. the engine has a seawater pump mounted to the engine powered by the drive belt the pump picks up water from under the boat thru a clam shell. so is there also a pump in the outdrive if not do i need to hook up muffs to the outdrive to run it at my house, i have a bucket to feed the other intake, any help is greatly appreciated
    1975 23cc i/o concord new hampshire

You must have a "closed cooling system" If you hook water up to the clamshell and start the engine you should see water come out with the exaust. if so then you are all right. watch the temp gauge.,

If for some odd reason you were to have a second pump in the outdrive you would have a black hose coming from the transom housing

up to the thermostat housing. Honestly I thought all alpha drives had the water pump in the outdrive.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I would definitly agree with Dave. I have a 1973 23 with a bravo drive and opted to eliminate the drive pick up and put a thru hull pick up in. The engine runs much cooler. The drive pick up steps down to a 5/8" hose thru the transom housing and then goes to a 1 1/4 hose to the pump. Are you sure that you have an alpha drive? I have never seen both
      Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

yes im sure its an alpha the hoses coming thru the transom are capped but i just wanted to double check with people in the know. thanks fo all your help
        1975 23cc i/o concord new hampshire

Comment

Someone could have removed the pump impeller in the outdrive that would normally feed and cool the engine from the outdrive water pump. They then installed the engine mounted raw water cooling pump that uses the under hull clamshell pickup. Probably is more efficent that way and cheeper to maintain. Just some other thoughts -

Mike
          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
          X