258 mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 258 mako

Have just bought an 85 258. It has two fuel fills on the port side as well as a switch that says aux pump. Both valves are open. I need a manual or some input from someone who can help with info. How much fuel does it hold can either valve be turned off. The boat seems a bit bow down but both gagues are working and indicate full. I see no water in any of the foam. It has a 1999 200 Johnson w/carbs and only about 100 hrs. It turns 5200 and gps says 38.5 mph and 26 at 4000. Does that seem about right. The owner is deceased so no help there. Any help is appreciated.

Dave

Dave, I also recently bought a Mako 258 1985.... I can't help you with the fuel tanks yet...still trying to understand them also... as for as your rpmS...and speed...I am also reading 5200 at about the same speed...have a 1997 250 yamaha....

Maybe you can help me with a question...On the right side of my panel I have a push switch that kind of looks like it's for a horn.... I have no idea what it's for... I put a tester on the two terminals on the back and both are hot and don't change when the switch is pushed...I'm not sure if it's original equptment of not. Any Ideas?

thanks, alan

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the motor/motors suck off of the tank in the center. The fuel pump is a transfer pump. It is used to transfer the fuel from the front tank to the center tank when the level is burnt off.

Comment

Dave

Also bought a Mako 258 in Nov. Have not had a chance to use it yet. The original fuel cell was 151 gallons and the standard extra was 50 gallons I believe. The engine is fed from the larger tank and so as you burn off fuel you can pump your fuel from the smaller to the larger tank. Hope you enjoy the boat. I am really looking forward to launch.

Rick
        Dover Point NH.[br]Mako 21B and Mako 258

Comment

Allan,

Thanks for the reply and no mine doesn't have a button or switch that you refer to. If we have any additional problems maybe we can help each other out.

Thanks,

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by Alan

Dave, I also recently bought a Mako 258 1985.... I can't help you with the fuel tanks yet...still trying to understand them also... as for as your rpmS...and speed...I am also reading 5200 at about the same speed...have a 1997 250 yamaha....

Maybe you can help me with a question...On the right side of my panel I have a push switch that kind of looks like it's for a horn.... I have no idea what it's for... I put a tester on the two terminals on the back and both are hot and don't change when the switch is pushed...I'm not sure if it's original equptment of not. Any Ideas?

thanks, alan

Comment

Thank everyone for their help ref the 258 and any additional help or suggestions are appreciated! Any of you fish the Chesapeake Bay? Also would appreciate any problem areas I should look for.

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by david thomas

Thank everyone for their help ref the 258 and any additional help or suggestions are appreciated! Any of you fish the Chesapeake Bay? Also would appreciate any problem areas I should look for.

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Dave, I fish the Chesapeake...usually from Patapsco River to Tilghman's. I'll be fishing from a 261 till it sells. The 258 is a great boat.
              Baltimore, MD[br]1972 WellCraft 16\' Sold[br]1982 Mako 20B Sold[br]1987 Mako 236IB Sold[br]1994 Mako 261 Sold[br]1984 ChrisCraft 28 Sold[br]1995 Boston Whaler 17\'

Comment

I'm on the Chesapeake. Mouth of the Piankatank/Rappahannock area.
                \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Will be fishing out of Choptank as we live in Cambridge and have a place in Virginia at Little Wicomico. 90 miles by car and 25 by boat so that was the reason for the boat or at that is how I rationalized it with my wife!

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by westrong

quote:

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Dave, I fish the Chesapeake...usually from Patapsco River to Tilghman's. I'll be fishing from a 261 till it sells. The 258 is a great boat.

Comment

funny, but that's how the wife convinced me we really wanted this boat! 30 min by boat to the gulf or 2 1/2 hours by car. who was i to argue? [88][88][88][88][88][88][88]
                    Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

Hi Dave, I have a 1986 258. You have two tanks, one is 151 gallons and the auxiliary tank holds 50 gallons. The fill for the aux. tank is forward of the main fill. If you just fish the bay and really don't make long runs, don't fill the aux tank. A very good outboard mechanic told me, gasoline starts to break down in about 4 weeks, and running with old gas is one of the causes of pistons seizing. I only fill both tanks if I'm running offshore. I fish the bay. I trailer the boat and usually put in at Matipeake state park. Speaking of 258's, I just seen one with a new hard top at a canvas shop on route 50. Is it yours? It has twin 150 Yamahas on a bracket. A real coincidence, because I'm having a hard top put on mine and want to get my transom closed in and a bracket put on. It is the first 258 I've seen with a full transom. I'm trying to figure a way to contact the owner. Most shops don't seem to want to give out customer information.
                      Capttwb

Comment

quote:

Will be fishing out of Choptank as we live in Cambridge and have a place in Virginia at Little Wicomico. 90 miles by car and 25 by boat so that was the reason for the boat or at that is how I rationalized it with my wife!

I used to live in MD--centreville. My fiance grew up in Annapolis, and I have close friends in Trappe, Easton, etc. Great area.
                        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Have been out of town for the last week w/out any email. I still have the bimini with curtains and am looking to have a hardtop built this winter but didn't know where to start or what sort of price range I would be looking at. Just got thru replacing the old water separator with a new racor after getting a load of water from the original fuel. Got it all out but feels good to be able to look at the filter and see if there is any water. Any info on the top would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by capttwb

Hi Dave, I have a 1986 258. You have two tanks, one is 151 gallons and the auxiliary tank holds 50 gallons. The fill for the aux. tank is forward of the main fill. If you just fish the bay and really don't make long runs, don't fill the aux tank. A very good outboard mechanic told me, gasoline starts to break down in about 4 weeks, and running with old gas is one of the causes of pistons seizing. I only fill both tanks if I'm running offshore. I fish the bay. I trailer the boat and usually put in at Matipeake state park. Speaking of 258's, I just seen one with a new hard top at a canvas shop on route 50. Is it yours? It has twin 150 Yamahas on a bracket. A real coincidence, because I'm having a hard top put on mine and want to get my transom closed in and a bracket put on. It is the first 258 I've seen with a full transom. I'm trying to figure a way to contact the owner. Most shops don't seem to want to give out customer information.

Comment

Working...
                          X