Shifter mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter mount

I have a '79, 20' center console Mako. I relocated the battery and did some wiring in the fall. In doing so, I had to move the center console. I'm now re-mounting the shifter. I would like to remove the cables from the shifter to replace the mounting board. Is it easier to disengage the cables from the engine (Mercury 115 ~'86) or from the shifter itself?

Thanks for the suggestions!!

No it's easier to disconnect from the control head, as you don't have to pull the cables thru the rigging tube.

Comment

Thanks for the information. It is not clear to me how the cables can be removed from the shifter. The cables have what appears to be a connection (metal cover with a seam, one side has what look like crimp notches, I can not find a way to release at that spot)just before they enter the shifter housing. Do these cables require a special tool to release?

Comment

there should be a cover on the bottom of the control box. removing the cover exposes the clevis end on the cables usually held on by 'e' clips.
        Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

grantn has it right.[] The cover comes off.

Try not to change the rod end settings. Just remove the ends that are on the cables off the stud.

Comment

That helped a lot. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X