Mounting Racor on a 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Racor on a 17

Looking for suggestions on where to mount my Racor on a 17 standard. It was originally mounted on the transom just below the steering cable. One screw (not bolt) was broken and the other was in bad shape. Removed it and filled the holes with epoxy and cabosil and not sure if I want to drill two more holes thru the transom. Here is a picture of the original taken when I first got the boat. I know its crusty,dirty and looks very bad.

Thanks Rd
    1971 17 Standard[br]Clemson SC

West Marine has stainless steel units on sale now. I'd put it back where it was
    Alabat - Cajun for \"Hey over there\"[br]1973 - 17 Mako Angler 115HP Suzuki[br]Houma, Louisiana[br]Home of the best Red fishing in the world

Comment

Mine is on the starboard side, just below the hole where the cables and hoses come out (not on the transom). This gives you a way to through-bolt it rather than screwing it, and you don't have to worry about water intrusion into the transom.
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

https://www.surplusunlimited.com/zincs.html

$68.00

Stainless mount.

Comment

Mubik

That sounds like a good option. Have you got any pictures of your setup. The inside of that head assy was suprisingly clean, so I bead blasted and painted it and got a new element. This was before I got my new motor. I will probably just by a new head assy for my element.

Wart

That is very tempting at that price.

Comment

I bought one of those stainless Racors from Surplus Unlimited and I it is definitely NOT a piece of junk. I can tell that it is of good quality stainless because it weighs a TON. It will probably outlast the boat. Money well spent!

Comment

Yep, I bought 2 of them. It's a billet piece, not cast.

Comment

You might not have the room on the transom to mount the Racor in the pictures. I think I looked into that filter when I had a 17 Standard. Better get an accurate measurement.
                1977 19B, 1995 175 Johnson. Currently in Central Illinois

Comment

Yeah, I doubt you'll have the vertical clearance below the wiring access to use one of those fancy jobs. The regular filter is probably the only one that will fit. That's not saying you can't buy one from West Marine, test fit, and return it. []
                  \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

You guys are correct . There is not enough room under the wiring hole on the starboard side. I just went ahead and mounted it on the port side at about the same height as the wires for the motor come thru on the starboard side.

Mubik I bet your 17 feels like a completely differant boat with that 140 on it. []

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Rd

Mubik I bet your 17 feels like a completely differant boat with that 140 on it. []

You have no idea. []

If the weather is good this week, the new console, t-top, and leaning post will go on.

Comment

I look forward to seeing pictures of the new goodies.

Comment

Here is a neat idea on how to mount the fuel filters.

By the way I hate my phone camera (Verizon Razr)
                          72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

By the way I hate my phone camera (Verizon Razr)

[/quote]

Got the same phone/camera my sucks too, But the mounting of your fuel filters looks quite nice very ingenious.
                            23\' Seacraft, 17 Mako Galveston, Texas[br]

Comment

Our 17 mako has a racor filter mounted on the starboard side where the transom meets the storage box. Ours has two hatches, one long one ( about 2 or so feet) and a little hatch with the battery cables and wiring. We just bolted the racor on the outside of that mini-compartment.
                              Patrick[br]Biloxi, MS[br]1965 Bertram 20[br]1998 Action Craft SE 175 VMAX[br]Looking for a 1976 Mako 25 CC[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X