A question for Inboard owners..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for Inboard owners..

Sorry, this isn't a Mako question but does pertain to an inboard engine. My poor old Correct Craft is having carburetion issues. She's only turned 39 this year and already feeling the pinch.

I am not the original owner and I've never owned an inboard before this one. I've had it 10 years. The engine to my knowledge is the original 289, but one never really knows these things for sure.

Now to the question, the carburetor drips gas out of the venturies when the boat is tilted back even a little bit. Sitting level they are okay but put the weight of just a person on the swim platform and they start dripping, which leads to flooding. Cut the engine off and it is tough to re-start. The carburetor is a marine Holly 2bb 300CFM - very simple. I installed it a few years ago attempting to fix this same problem on the previous carburetor. So, something is amiss.

The engine is mounted at about a 10 degree angle to level. The carburetor is mounted directly on the intake at this same angle. Is this typical of an inboard? Maybe the float is just misadjusted. Although it is hard to believe two carburetors would have the same problem independently.

???
    [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Seems that I recall that they were angle mounting plates available to keep the carb level in these installations
    Alabat - Cajun for \"Hey over there\"[br]1973 - 17 Mako Angler 115HP Suzuki[br]Houma, Louisiana[br]Home of the best Red fishing in the world

Comment

Two ways to fix this, you can get a carb. wedge. these are a little pricy, or you can adjust your float level.(prefered) Do a search for

"holly float adjustment" you should find help online. Its not a bad adjustment. Holly made so many different models, the adj. procedure is specific to your unit. On the older 4 barrel units there is a external screw that adj. the level hope this helps. dave
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I agree with MI-Dave... And, the simple fix would be to lower the float in 1/16-1/8" increments. BUT don't go too low, or it will begin to starve the motor at WOT, and may make it a tad difficult to jump it up on plane.

ALSO, you will want to check to make sure the float is sound (IE: doesn't have any porosity allowing fuel to seep into it.)

One last item for your consideration;

Go on the Holley website and check into the float "anti-bounce" springs, which Holley developed for the off-roading guys. (NOTE: If you have a needle/seat that is spring loaded, you already have some of that protection.) On the Holley website, you will find float "anti-bounce" kits (typically it's nothing more than a small spring which is added around the float pivot to help dampen float movement) to retrofit most of the holley products.

I added the float anti-bounce kit to my 19 ft 2bbl carbed I/O a few years back, and it REALLY helped it run much smoother, especially during low throttle situations, and when the water was getting a tad rough...

Good Luck
        Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

I like the 12 degree wedge that Holley has on their web site. I'll look around for one, but in the meantime I'll adjust the float. Since it only drips at a fairly high angle, I'm suspecting the float is fine, just the angle out of range.

I wasn't sure if there was some inboard motor secret that I didn't know. You guys helped confirm what I suspected.

Thanks guys...
          [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

A 12 degree wedge for a 4 bbl is easy to find. Any ideas on where to look for one that will fit a 2 bbl intake??

Thanks...

Comment

I'm just curious as to why the motor was mounted 10dg out of level? I know my Mercruiser I/O was mounted like out of level at one time and I burned and seized the gimbal bearing (which lead to a broken shaft in a real hurry). But...I guess if its bearings are at the right angles, it shouldn't matter then...

-Pat.
              18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Pat, its an direct drive inboard, those have the engine mounted on an angle so the drive shaft has the correct clearance coming out the bottom of the boat.I think I would go for the float adj. A 2 barrel wedge is going to be a little tough to find. You might talk to a good machine shop(automotive) to see if they could take a 1 inch aluminum 2 barrel spacer and surface plane it on a angle. or you could find a really fat chick to sit next to you while driving to push the front of the boat down[88][88]. dave
                [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

[88] The fat chick won't happen... my wife son and dog together don't add up to me [88]

Headed to a machine shop today..

Comment

If a wedge is tough to find or to expensive for you. You can easily make one out of wood. Use an old base gasket as a template. We use wood spacers on race cars all the time they are great at dissipating heat.
                    Steve Glasgow[br]Lake Worth Fl.[br]74 22B

Comment

Thanks for all the help... Too late in the season to do anything this year. I always wait to late to worry about it. Time go go ski!

Here are some pics:>

Not a Mako, but a sweet boat anyway!

Comment

That is a cool little boat, that boat is def. a classic. The float adj. is external on that holley it is the screw on the top of the float bowl loosen up the jam nut and adjust the center portion..If it takes you more than 20 minutes to resolve the problem you fell asleep[88] after you get the boat warmed up and sitting at the dock look down the center of the carb to see if any fuel is dribbling down. turn the float screw 1/4 turn clockwise and observe. then if that doesnt help go 1/2 turn. if the problem gets worse then we are going the wrong way. turn it back to where we started and go 1/4 turn CCW. let us know, a carb wedje would also help but not as available. dave.

Comment

Looks like way more than 10 degrees, unless there's the tilt of the trailer in the photo... I first thought of a fuel starvation problem, be it pump, filter, fuel pickup mechanism, etc, but even your lawn mower will cut out if tilted that far..a Rochester Quadrajet 4 bbl carb has big rear floats and might work with such a tilt. I would be real nervous about gas burbling about my bildge..

Mark
                          \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

Unfortunately Holley decided to leave the adjusting screw off this one. So, I'm thinking UPGRADE! []

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...M/300-39S.html

The gas drips into the intake.

Comment

Destin

I noticed you are towing with a Wrangler.

How's that working out?
                              A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. [br]Northport Occupied NY[br]1989 191 w/120 Evinrude

Comment

Working...
                              X