Teak Varnish Stripper II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teak Varnish Stripper II

Can anyone recommend a good teak varnish stripper? I will get my share of sanding after I get the old stuff off.[?]
    6 Pak & Tackle[br]Lantana,Fl

i've used "easy off" oven cleaner on some really nasty teak.

worked pretty well, too.

ymmv
    \'79 20\'[br]savannah

Comment

What are you stripping off the teak? Usually teak is just oiled and a light sanding qwith 150 paper brings it back ready for more oil.

Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

i used te-ka parts a+b this year on all the teak on my 238. two parts, no scrubbing, then finished with 3 coats of sikkens cetol light. was a lot of work but the boys down at the yard are raving bout how good it looks. i got tired of it lookin like chit by may.
        wantagh, new york 86 238

Comment

I have used Nu Teak for the last 15 years (Yes made by the Mary Kay Co) and have found it works the best on oiled teak or any other wood that you need to clean. I also use it on my deck to get rid if the mildue and dirt - cleans up pressure treated wood with no problem (for the deck I use a couple of onces added to about 1 gal of hot water in the bottom of a 5 gal pail). I find it better and easier to use (fully biodegradable and will not hurt the flowers, grass or bushes) than the other cleaners or the 2 part stuff. Be careful, however, as it will take wax off faster that you can say the words.

Mike
          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

I personally agree with Gebby. The 2 part cleaner followed by sanding is the way to go. It not only brings all the grime and dirt out of the teak but it also lifts the really weathered grain. I sanded it down and then used the same sikkens but the semi gloss. The instructions called for 3 coats for good protection but I opted to do 5 coats. Yes it is a pain in the ars, but the end result is well worth the effort. I will post some pics as soon as I download the photos.[88]
            Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

Working...
            X