Plugging rod holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugging rod holders

I have been unable to find caps or plugs so I took them out and duck taped the bottoms as a temporary measure. I know that these are a major source of the water getting into my foam.

Looking for some cleaver ideas for a more permanent fix

Did you try PVC tube caps?
    Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Ghost, this probably won't help but, I just pluged mine with 1/2" piece of teak...tappered the ends and pounded in w/ rubber hammer. I coated with resin and finished w/ a starboard step pad.

Comment

if your flush mounts are like mine, there will be a 1/4" to 1/2" drainage hole at the bottom of the rod holder that is plastic. i got a scrape piece of plastic, cut it to fit inside the hole. Then i got a cigarette lighter and "welded" it in place. (melted the plastic so it becomes watertight)

Hope your fix will be as easy as mine.

good luck

Nate
        Bradenton, FL[br]1970 Mako 220[br][br]

Comment

@5 years ago I removed all my heavy duty Mako Aluminum rodholders had the bottoms welded shut. It will last as long as the rodholders and you will not need to do it over again in a few years after you find out one of your jurry-rigged fixes was leaking for a few years. Hope this helps -

Mike
          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Could you explain the idea of the PVC tube Cap?

Thanks
            Dan[br]Pass Christian, Ms[br](currently in Slidell, La since that little thunderstorm in 05!)

Comment

1980- don't have a pic, but I did this once. Took a holder to the hardware store and dry fitted different sizes of end caps for sanitary PVC tubing. Once I found a good match, I took the caps and bonded them to the rod holder with a MarineTex-like epoxy glue that I use a lot (PC-7 or PC-11. i don't know if you can find it there) Won't rust, and is practically unbreakable. Hope it helps.
              Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Thanks for reply. That would leave holders unuseable.Problem is they fill with water. Purchased perko "Cap" - when I pulled a rod holder, the bottom stuck to the foam. I was able to retrieve the bottom (long BBQ tongs did the trick!) and will seal the bottom back on.

So, won't be pulling any more rod holders!

Might try pvc cap glued to a small piece of pvc & stick in the rod holder to stop water - thoughts??

thanks
                Dan[br]Pass Christian, Ms[br](currently in Slidell, La since that little thunderstorm in 05!)

Comment

Try an expadible plumbers plug. They come in an assortment of sizes and are used primarily for pressure testing plumbing for leaks. They are easy to install at the end of the day and even easier to put back in. Check the web for a company that manufactures the brand Gripper and you will see what this is all about. They have a wing nut on the top with buna N rubber so that they are able to be used in the harshest environment.
                  Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

After reading this thread, I went out to check my rod-holders.

On my 191 the two forward holders drain directly into the boat.

The set closest to the aft have a bottom. Does this mean water

has been working into the foam as it presumably leaked ?

Please advise and thanks

Capt Bobb

Mako 191 93'

Comment

Yes the water is leaking into and around the foam that is under your rod holders and any other foam that is in the waters path to the bilge.

The plumbers plug idea sounds like a real good idea - easly installed and probably inexpensive. I like those 2 together -

Mike
                      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Mine have a 1/2" hole at the bottom of the rodholder. I just used a 1/2" tubing fitting and routed clear tubing to my bilge. I did the same thing to my pop up cleats. Glued the fittings in with 5200.

Comment

I purchased some new holders made by ORCA on ebay. The new one hade a 3/8 drain tube nipple which I attached a 2 inch piece of braided tubing, folded at the end, inserted some 5200 and then attached a ss hose clamp around the hose and nipple. Worked great....But the new holders are a different angle which requires a lttle foam removal with a filet knife and a shop vac....

Good luck
                          Brian Dunwell[br]Houston, TX[br]1982 Mako 213 \"Makover\"

Comment

Working...
                          X