MERCURY OR YAMAHA ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MERCURY OR YAMAHA ??

OK, NEED YOUR OPINIONS AND FEEDBACK I WANT TO REPOWER AND WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. I HAVE A 232 MAKO ON A BRACKET WITH A 1995 200 MERC. UP TO NOW NO PROBLEMS, BUT WANTED A 225 OR 250 SHOULD I STAY WITH A MERC OR GO WITH A YAMAHA. ITS MY FIRST MERC AND ONLY HAD IT FOR A YEAR PLEASE HELP

P.S. PEOPLE TELL ME A MERC IS JUST TALL,BLACK AND HANDSOME SITTING ON MY TRANSOM NEED YOUR ADVICE THANKS

All the motors have their + and -. I assume you are referring to 2 stroke comparisons. Optimax, HPDI, or E-Tec. IMO, I'd take the E-Tec out of that group, but then you are talking about a huge added expense for guages, controls, etc changes. Optimax would be your cheapest route as it should be plug and play, to some extent.

4 strokes? Well, that's a different story and I am personally under the impression right now that the Verado, F series Yams, and V6 Suzuki all have pros and cons. Not sure which one I'd pick. Probably have to do more with warranty deals and local trusted dealer sales.

All just my worthless opinion.... []
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Just went thru the same "heart burn". Posted the ? here and got some really good feedback. I've got a 86' 231 that had a 200 Yamaha. After all the +/- I stuck with a low tech Yami Saltwater 200---2 cycle w/ fuel injection---same controls....on the rim and out the door for just over $10k...runs like a champ!

Comment

In my opionin they are both good engines. My final decision would be based on your preference for your installing dealer. A good dealer/mechanic relationship is important. If your O.K. with merc. I would stay because of gauges and control issues;. dave;.
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Based on my resent experience with the Yamaha HPDIs (BAD BAD BAD!!!) I would have to say go with the Merc or with a Low tech Yamaha....Are the 225 OX66 motors still available????

Comment

I'm still running a 1987 Yamaha 200 with lots of hours, could not guess the number and have never had an issue. I just upgraded to Yamaha 225, not even mounted on my boat and expect the same level of performance and reliability. Both engines are carb models because I do not mind burning a few more gallons for reliability that has been proven many times over. Personally, I would wait a couple years with direct fuel injection motors and some of the four stroke. I have not seen enough reliability data to dive in. This is just my opinion of course.

I did see the ETEC commercial while on businees in New Orleans a couple weeks ago and it looks like someone really did their homework, but I want to see how the motor holds up after a couple years. Ficht has left Johnson/Evinrude with a black eye and had scared many, but I'ld look if the data and owners feedback supports it.

David M
            Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

In a low tech, 2-stroke carb or EFI motor, I dont' think you could go wrong with either. Both Merc. and Yammy have proven very reliable in that area. 225 is available from either, but only Merc. has a low tech 250.

If you're looking for a DFI, I think I would go Opti. Although initially plagued with issues, Merc. seems to have their sh*t together much better than Yamaha recently. I'de be willing to be that HPDI problems outnumber Opti problems 2:1.

In the 4-stroke area, if I had to choose Merc. or Yam, I'de probably go Yamaha simply because the Verado's are so new and yet unproven. Unless you can find the older Merc. 225 4-stroke. It's a Yammy painted black. My real first choice would be a Suzuki or Johnson.

Unless you are really, really unhappy with the current 200, I wouldn't do anything. That 200 is built on Merc. 2.5 bulletproof liter block and if you take care of it, should last a long, long time.

Good luck. []
              Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Quite honestly, if your gonna go 4 stroker... In terms of reliability, I'd look into Honda or Suzuki. Honda has never made anything but 4 stroke technology in all their years. Suzuki is not far behind. My fther-in-law has 3 Honda motors (50hp, 130hp, and 150hp) All start and run like friggin clocks. Very reliable.
                Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU WHO REPLIED IM GOING TO USE THE MERC TILL IT DROPS AND THEN GO WITH A YAMAHA 225 ITS SEEMS THE OPINIONS GO WITH THE YAMMYS THANKS ALOT

Comment

Yamaha IMO
                    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I think the yamaha has better resale value. I know many guys here wont even look at a boat that has other power. I have a 200 that runs great, very happy.
                      1987 231 with 200 Yamaha[br]Stuart, Fl

Comment

Hondas customer service is unsurpassed by any manufacturer and has proven themselves time and again in the 4 stroke market. I also saved about 2k on my 2005 200hp.

jbsmako '73 23'mako

obx,nc

Comment

Working...
                        X