Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Mako 22 Questions

Hello Everyone!

I am a new member and happy to be aboard. This is a marvelous clearinghouse for information and assistance. As you can see from the title, I have a 1970 Mako 22. It isn't in new condition, but it floats and takes us where we want to go. I have a number of short questions and perhaps some of you old hands could shed a little light.

1. All I know is that it is a 22; but I have seen people mention a 22B. Is this different and how do I know what I have (there does not seem to be an HIN)?

2. Are port or starboard lists common due to wet foam?

3. Near the aft docking cleats are two access holes. Originally, what were the covers made from and how were they attached?

4. I seem to be missing a limber hole where the starboard stringer meets the transom. Was this common?

5. What is the general consensus regarding the use of "Doel Fins" (I have a 200 HP mariner)?

You input and opinions are most welcome.
    Bungo Pete[br]Portland Maine[br]1970 Mako 22, 200 HP Mariner

Welcome Aboard Pete. We have another member in your neck of the wood's. ArnieII[]

I'm not sure what you are talking about on the holes?

Is it 2 round holes about 3in in the splashwell?

Comment

Mine also lists to starboard and the foam is not wet. My opinion is that the cause is that the batteries and helm are on that side. When the boat is not loaded she floats high with the chines barely under. The keel is the fulcrum and she will flop to one side.
      Richard[br]Miami[br]Pearson Flyer 30

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

Welcome Aboard Pete. We have another member in your neck of the wood's. ArnieII[]

I'm not sure what you are talking about on the holes?

Is it 2 round holes about 3in in the splashwell?

Regarding the holes, they are not the vents in the splashwell. The ones I am interested in are located just inside the gunwales fwd of the transom cleats. They are oval (like a NASCAR short track) about 12" in length and about 5" wide. Mine are covered with marine plywood held down with 4 screws. The Stbd one is blank and the port one has the recepticle for the anchor light. I was thinking that I might make a hatch for the starboard one and use the space below for my lunch hook.

Regarding this neck of the woods, it is said that here in Maine we have ten months of Winter and two months when the skiing is really bad.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Rich Mako 228

Mine also lists to starboard and the foam is not wet. My opinion is that the cause is that the batteries and helm are on that side. When the boat is not loaded she floats high with the chines barely under. The keel is the fulcrum and she will flop to one side.

Thanks for the reply. I wish it were the case with my boat. The battery and the helm are both to port. I can stand on the port gunwale and level her off (I weigh 200 lbs with my boots on). Unfortunately, I think it is a case of foamus spunge-itus []

Comment

Bungo, welcome! I have the same boat, but a 1972 22'. I don't think those oval openings are nothing more than access ports to the fuel vent, bilge discharge and access to the cleats. I actually moved my fuel filler to one of those because the original one rotted out and I didnt' want to cut into the liner to access it. As far as the listing I have no idea. I suggest taking off one shoe while driving the boat, it would be easier than tearing out all the foam. If you have the rod holders like mine with no drainage and the water just empties into the foam filled sides of the boat, maybe you do have some water in that foam. I always wondered where that water went. You could always install some rod storage in the sides of the boat. That way you could inspect the foam and using that existing hole for rod storage and you'd kill 2 birds with one circular saw.
            [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Working...
            X