Waterline Paint- What to go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterline Paint- What to go with?

I recently took off the old waterline which was bottom paint and, by the way started wearing and looked like cr**p. I trailer almost exclusively now and want to go with a waterline to match the original rubrail (you know the dark brown, maroon looking thing). Should I go with an two part epoxy or polyurethane. Imron or Awlgrip. I'm only talking about an area from stern of about 6" diminishing to zilch at bow. Should I have it sprayed or can I roll or brush? How 'bout some help here, Pleeeze! (Where ya at Wart?) Oh, by the way, the old gelcoat is scored somewhat for the old bottom paint application. Doesn't look like any of the scores have compromised the gelcoat. Should'nt hurt if i go fishing this weekend (prior to repainting of course [?], huh? Any suggestions are always appreciated.[)]
    Justus[br]\'93-211 Classic [br]Baton Rouge

I'd tape it out with 3M Fineline tape and roll the paint.

My preferance is Awlgrip.

Comment

Wart, you da man! I knew you were up. I certainly appreciate your suggestion. I'm certainly not the perfectionist as you, but want it to look nice, you know!! Also, I think that maroon (kinda brownish) color would look pretty good as a waterline.

By the way, about fishing this weekend, before painting. Is it ok?

Comment

quote:

By the way, about fishing this weekend, before painting. Is it ok?

Sure. Just wash the boat well when you come back.

Wash it again with wax & grease remover[auto paint store has it]

Tape it out, sand it with no finer than 320gt. Wash it again with wax & grease remover, tack it off and paint it.

Comment

Most people up here in the Northeast use a "Boot Strip" that is made out of a vinl tape for the waterline stripe. These can be purchased in rolls at most marine stores and come in any color and range from usually 1 inch to 3 inches wide. I would think it could be applied (and removed or color changed) alot easier that paint?? I had one 1 inch strip on my boat for over 20 years and had no problems with it coming off or being damaged. Just another idea -

Mike
          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Classic73, i can go with the vinyl tape at the top of the waterline but a wide area on the side up to the actual water line that I need to cover. I had bottom paint which went up the side of the boat up to the water line. At the stern it is about 6-8" wide and progresses to a thinner stripe at the bow. It began wearing off and became an eye sore. Not to mention that it would smear onto the rest of the boat when washing. So i sanded the stuff off this past weekend and intend to go back with paint. If the top line of the paint doesn't come out absolutely true, I'll probably go with a vinyl tape to hide any irregularities. Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Mike,

Your gonna have to teach me how how to get the vinyl "Boot Stripe" to stick.

It's always coming off.
              1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

The tape is self-sticking and after a good cleaning on the hull with a suitable cleaner to remove any greese or wax, you carefully place the boot stripe tape in the position you want (here I usually have used the previous stripe as a guide to apply a pencile line for the top of the next stripe). You then smooth the stripe down with a finger or cloth to get any air bubbles out from under the tape. If you bottom paint your boat like I do, I use a regular 1 inch masking tape to cover over the boot stripe to protect it from over painting with bottom paint. When the bottom paint has dried for about an hour you remove the masking tape and you should have a crisp clean boot stripe edge between the bottom edge of the your boot stripe and the bottom paint. The last thing I do is to put a couple of coats of wax on the boat/boot stripe to give it some protection from the elements.

Mike

Comment

Steve W - Just looked on the map where Andover was. If you need help I could meet you and give you a hand. I assume you keep your boat on the CT river?? or further down the on the sound? Let me know -

Mike

Comment

The only problem with a vinyal boot stripe is if Gas burp's out of the vent.

This can happen on a hot day with the boat just sitting.

It will eat the vinyal right off the boat.

Comment

Thanks Mike,

We've talked in e-mails before, I am they guy that keeps his boat at Cedar Island in Clinton.

I pretty much do it the way you say, but I use the wide vinyl and put right down against the bottom paint. I use black bottom paint and black tape so they kind of blend together. That's most likely were my problem is.

I am hoping to get her put in next weekend, this weekend looks like it will be perfect for finishing everything up. (finger's crossed)
                      1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

Thats's great your'll put her in in a few weeks. I still have the cover on mine - should come off this weekend. I have some extra work this year - need to change out the gas gage tank sensor and remove / install a new depth sounder/fishfinder along with all the normal stuff. I should be ready by the end of May. Will keep in touch

Mike

Comment

like anything else....it is all in the prep work! clean it well...then wipe it down with acetone....tape will last a longggggg time.

Comment

This might be a stupid question, but I put that vinyl bootstripe on. Now, 2 seasons later there is a clear tape coming off. Was that some sort of protection for the tape that I was supposed to peel off or does that act as a clearcoat for the vinyl?
                            [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

That was a clear thin piece of tape that was over the actual tape (to protect it during installation) and should have been removed when it was put on. It's not a problem however, just finish removing it and put several coats of wax on the tape/hull area.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X