OMC Starter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMC Starter Question

Last season the clutch within the gear on my starter went bad. The starter motor is like brand new and is an original OEM starter. I went to the lonal Evinrude dealer who said he could get me a new gear for the starter for $125. I laughed and left. Since I can get most marine parts at wholesale cost I simply got a new aftermarket starter for about $150.

Now my question is, I now have a perfectly good starter motor that needs a gear. Does anybody out there know where I could get the gear for a half way decent price. I would like to have this starter as a backup or possibly sell it over the web. Oh, almost forgot, this is for a 96 225 OMC. The same starter fits a variety of motors.

My local starter/alternator rebuild shop gets them for me. I take it to him and he installes it for just a few bucks more. Those starters are not made by omc but by a vendor. You might also ask a dealer if he has any cores around that you can take a good used gear off of.

Hope this helps. dave
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Try Trixie's Marine in Forked River.

Its a pretty large salvage/junk yard, they have alot, I mean alot, of beat horses laying around. They have a website as well, but dont know it.
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Working...
      X