28' Mako Sinks Offshore of Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28' Mako Sinks Offshore of Texas

Details are scatchy as of now the boat was found Sunday 4-10-05 capsized and no one was recovered.

Question' How many years did Mako build a 28' boat?

I'm not sure what year this boat was...one of the guys on the forum where I first seen the post about the boat sinking who knew the guy who owned the boat. He has yet to post bad the year of this Mako.

I'm not suggesting the boat was at fault....there is too many things that can go wrong out there....I was just wondering.....
    Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Where did you find that it was a Mako? None of the stories I've read mention the make of the boat.
    Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Comment

A friend of the guy posted that it was a 28' Mako. He replied to my inquiry about the year. He thinks it's a 98 or 99 that he just did a re-power job on.

Here is part of his reply;

"I am not sure exactly what year model the boat is I beleive it is a 98 or 99. He bought the hull from an insurance company because the boat was in a sling and the rear strap broke submerging the engines. Apperently the insurance totaled the boat and sold the hull. He then purchased 97 model 225 horse Johnsons and had them put on the boat then performed a littled clean up on the boat and had an awsome ride for about $27,000.00. He has ran that boat for about 4 years now with no trouble what so ever. Then 2 weeks ago he bought a pair of used 250 horse Yamahas and put those motors on. I remember questioning his reasons for replacing motors that had served him so well. When they found the boat one motor was up and one motor was down and I sure hope that motor troubles was not the cause for this accident. The Yamahas are 2001 models with 130 hours each on em. As far as I know there were three poeple on the boat Johny, Scotty, and the 17 year old that I did not know personally."

Here is where he states he knows the guy;

"He is a freind of mine that lives near us. We have fished together many times. He is a very experianced offshore fisherman but has been known to go out when conditions are not exactly favorable. I think the news has it wrong and there was actually three poeple on the boat, and the 17 year old is not his son but a freind from the neiborhood. I hope they are OK but things are not getting any calmer out there. Let's keep them in our prayers, and if we hear anything I'll let ya'll know."

The news reported that there was a viible hole in the bottom of the boat, but the video I seen from a helicopter you couldn't see any holes....it was a video stream on the I-net...so it was not real clear....

I'm still not saying nor implying this boat sank because of a manufacturing issue.
      Owner of a once busted a$$ 1999 25\' SeaCraft! [br]One that I had to repair because Tracker Marine wouldn\'t stand behind there product![br]Houston Texas

Comment

Did the boat go down completely or is it floating upside down at a salgavable depth.

This does add to my theory that an EPIRB and a life raft are necessary items for offshore fishing boats.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Yeah...it was upside down.....but still afloat.

Comment

Okay. I just watched the videos on khou.com and saw a photo of the boat. It is indeed a Mako with a euro-transom. The coast guard video shows the boat floating, but capsized.

Comment

Post the link here so we can all watch it.
              Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I don't know how to post a video, but I sent it to you by email Eddie.

Comment

Very Sad. Hopefully they will be found OK..

you may have to register. Definitely looks like a late 90's model. The second story has picture of boat on trailer. name on boat looks like "Predator".

http://www.khou.com/news/local/galve...1c9b2273e.html
                  Sarasota, Florida

Comment

They left at night in 6-8' seas. I run out of the same port and the forecast from last weekend was calling for 5-6'. not sure why anyone would do that in a 28'? I assume they were going to run 50-80 mi since snapper isn't open yet and to get to tuna is a pretty good run here.
                    84\' 224[br]houston, tx

Comment

Number One!

These guys are in my prayers right now, not to mention when I hit my pillow tonight, and tomorrow as well. Secondly, I second the Ringleader suggestion, as an Epreb is now mandatory on my list of mandatory safety equipment. I'm going online to get the best price on one tomorrow. In one weekend last summer, I was personally privy to threee boats going down in Grand Isle. Last Summer, in one day, I heard distress calls from two boats. "Mayday, Mayday, Going Down, Going Down ....followed by GPS coordinates, is not a call you want to hear coming over the VHS. (And this guy reported to be in a "32 Fountain"... a lot more than my '22 Mako charting the same waters.

All I can say is that we all love what we do for fun, but we also have to respect safety!!! Who knows what this guy hit, a drum of crap thrown from a platform, a derelict floating cargo container or a killer bail, who knows, but it could have been you or me. And if I'm conscious after the ordeal I, particularly now, want an Eperb. I want to increase my odds to see my wife and kids again.

Oh, and I hate to hear the Capt'n C thread that Tracker Marine wouldn't stand behind his warranty. With their recent acquisition of Mako, I hope that it's not a sign of things to come,,,,,[:-(][:-(][:-(]
                      Justus[br]\'93-211 Classic [br]Baton Rouge

Comment

Ditto above.......with the advent of DSC radios....Epirbs are not the must they used to be for coastal boaters, I do think anyone venturing past 50 miles needs one. Be careful when buying....only get a 206MHZ one, the old 121 and 243 MHZ is going away in 08.....so they say. Thought I found a deal, horse traded for a old Mini B ACR, battery is good and it works, went to have new battery installed...125 $ ! plus it is obsolete in a few years. Battery is suppose to have 10 year life...and was replaced in 2000 so should be good. I have a DSC VHF so will be ok.... I don't do over 30 mi without buddy boat anyway.

My prayers are with them.

Gotta say this though....if that captain went to sea in a 28 foot boat at night in 6-8 ft seas, regaurdless of experience..........he was absolutly careless, in fact border line stupid..

Comment

Justin,

The boat that sank is a Tracker built boat. The USCG issued a recall on their (Trackers) 28' Mako boats starting with the 1999 models (I think)....that was one reason it being a Mako caught my attention.

I was out about a month ago and saw two large trunked trees with the roots floating offshore...one about 32nmiles out the other right at 20nmiles. The at 20nmiles was directly ahead of me....if I hadn't seen the roots sticking up out of the water I would have drilled the root section at 30 knots.

Comment

Here is the lastest post on the other web site;

"As some of you know the three poeple missing in the gulf are freinds of mine. Another family freind salvaged John's boat yesterday. I like alot of poeple feared they had hit something while running at night. But when I looked at the hull of the boat I did not see any signs of a catastrophic impact. What I did see is stress cracks from the center of the keel that went up either side of the boat just passed the water line and a crack through the fiber glass in the keel. But no evidence they hit anything like a rig or buoy. When the boat was recovered what they found were one motor up in nuetral with the key off, and one motor down in gear with the key on. So if they had hit something they were only running on one motor. Also the bilge pump was on and there are three PFD's one 190 quart ice chest and a life ring unaccounted for. Some one had mentioned a recall on the 28' Makos 1998 and newer. This is a 2000 model hull. Does anyone know what the recall was for and/or where we can find out more info about the recall. I beleive the crew had enough time to grab their PFD's and bail into the water. I don't know why they didn't stay with the boat. The only thing I can think of is the waves were to strong for them to stay with the vessel. I talked to the news last night and told them what I saw on the boat and I know they are still out there. I understand that the Coast Guard can only search for so long, but I hope they don't give up prematurely. Please pray for those men and any info on the recall of these boats would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, tight lines to all."

Comment

Coast Guard recall #030090T issued August 2004 for 1998-2001 Mako 282. Recall is for gelcoat cracking at stern. I would assume the Coast Guard could give you more information.

Gene

Haddonfield, NJ

Comment

Working...
                              X