224Live well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 224Live well

My 85 224 live well always has water in it ,due to the design.I guess. Have any of you tried any check valves or one way scuppers to eliminate the water. I would only like to fill it with the pump,all other times I would like to keep it empty.
    Bob

Yes. In alot peoples opinon that was a poorly designed bait well at best. At worst you could fall into it when the hatch is off and break a leg. I hate them because they are a pain to clean...end rant.

Many years ago my Dad put an in-line ball valve forward of the thru hull (which is the pick up for the baitwell) to prevent it from filling and if we wanted it filled then prevented if from draining when we picked up and ran.

Cliff
    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Heres what I did with my infloor baitwell, I sealed it up and am using it for a water tank supply for the washdown pump. I have 2 inline valves, one for the tank and one sucks off the bottom thru hull. When I pull the boat out of the river I can quickly wash the scum off before the 15 gallons or so drain out.(or close the valves and keep the water in till I get home)
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

My 224 has a ball valve in it, I just naturally assumed that it came that way from the factory.

This seems to work well to keep the sea water, no easy way to keep the rain out. I keep a hand bilge pump on board and just pump it out after it rains, or after I wash the boat.

This is easier than crawling around by the motor when the boat's on a plane and opening and closing the valve.
        1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

On my 224, I got so tired of "fussing" with a moldy stinky wet mess all the time[B)][], that I simply pulled the pumps and lines off, and now use it for a battery box for the three batteries for my 36V trolling motor[8D][].

OB1
          Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Ob1,

How did you prevent rain from getting in?
            ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Working...
            X