Should I buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy???

Should I buy a 1996 Mako 282 with twin 2001 HPDI's. The guy is asking $39,000 but i think I could get the boat for maybe $35,000. I had the hull surveyed and everything seems to come back clean. Engines have been compression tested and they are solid. Comes with a dual axel trailer. Boat is basically clean - some minor cosmetic work is needed but nothing major. I would be moving up from a 1993 Mako 211 which I really like but I am looking for something bigger. I have heard a lot of scuttlebutt about the 282's having problems but its hard to decifer fact from fiction. Any thoughts?

Have you seen this article?

http://www.boatus.com/consumer/defectivecongress.asp
    Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Now I am in no means in defense of Mako's (BPS) bad practices over the last few years, but IMO if the boat surveys ok, get it surveyed again. And if the motors compression check ok, if the previous owner is trust-worthy, and it's the boat you want, get it. $35K is a good price for a 282 in good shape.

The article gw is refering to is legendary. The boat in question should have never left the factory, direct employee sale or not. Not a sign of bad boat building necessarily (because they knew there was a probelm), but more a question of bad business practices, horrible management, and lack of strict quality control.

If I could get what I wanted out of my boat (too much blood, sweat, and tears to sell her now), I would jump on a deal like that in a heartbeat.
      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Yea, I've read the article and seen all the hobknobbing about 282's on this board - its just hard to tell the truth from fiction. Anyone own a 282 from the 1990's that would like to comment I would appreciate it.

Comment

I agree with Rude. If it passes a survey, and motors are solid.....and it is what you want, buy it. 35k for that boat is a good price.

Comment

The compression on the motors may be fine but for peace of mind I would have the cylander bores scoped to make sure there is no scuffing. The Ficht motors had alot of problems. 2001 motors may or may not be a problem.....better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Mako224 is right. My 2 cents - get the model numbers yoursef directly from each engine. Search their year, weight, blah blah..My friend got a boat and the " honest " seller told him the Yammies were '99. Turns out their '97 's. Also, said he replaced the gas tank but DID NOT. My friend trusted him and the broker, and got ripped off. ( Not really, it was about 30 K w/tower and riggers and twins on a bracket..pretty good deal) HOWEVER, that '84 28' Mako split console is a friggin awesome machine, and he moved the helm up another 9", and the room in the cockpit is fabulous. Maintenence records, INDEPENDENT survey. Good luck.
              \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

The official coast guard recall on the 282 covers years 1998-2001.

Comment

I would stay away from that boat. Anything that is too good to be true probably is.

Comment

Working...
                  X