Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check List

All,

Spring is here and I'd like to have people chine in on there own safety check list. For example, what equipment do you carry onboard etc. Just looking for a few examples from some more experienced boaters out there that might help the rest of us folks. I'm primarily using my boat in protected waters, bays etc so e-perbs and life rafts aren't what I'm thinking. But some everyday advice would be great.

safe boating !!

SB
    Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

1, check all your life jackets for rot and problems, replace as neccascary

2, Check your vhf radio for functionality.

3, Check your flares, are they outdated?

4, Lights,horn,flashlight.

5, anchor lines, and mooring lines.

6, small medicine box with the stuff we careless fishermen need.

7, charts of the areas you will be fishing or boating in.

8, Trailer work, lights and lube.

10 minnows, dont forget the minnows, hehe dave
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Flashlights, duct tape, Ribeye steaks, lighter, sparkplugs, water separator filter, jumper cables, (how big is your boat) cell phone

w/ spare battery, spray starter fluid, suntan lotion, 4 different types of pliers, wd-40, wrenches, spare bildge plug, RADIO!
      \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

Don't know if I got the size right for posting but I'll give it a shot.If it doesn't post right I'll resize and post again.This is an ongong list and a good topic salty!

1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

On the Gulf Coast (Maybe everywhere else too):

The sticker that says the boat is US Coast Guard recognized (not sure what it means, but its manditory)

Trash can marked "Trash" with no bait, tackle etc in it.

There's a new rule about using VHFs I read about. Can't seem to find the article again though. [?]

Out of state Tuna fishermen not on a charter need a federal Tuna permit in Louisiana

Bow riders at idle is ok unless it's the water police around national parks and barrier islands (not the Coast guard)

All of which I have been given warnings or tickets
          Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Chum block

live shrimp,

frozen ballyhoo

sharp hooks

limes/ginger mix (for sushi)

corona more limes

bbq if you really like to enjoy
            Richard[br]Miami[br]Pearson Flyer 30

Comment

Ditch Bag with "Epirb, Epirb, Epirb", handheld vhf, water, sunscreen, visual signal device, and a bottle of good attitude [8D]

Don't forget a hand line, pair that with Rick Mako's ceviche makings and your gonna eat like a king... Just save some for the guys on the orange whirrly bird though [88]
              John[br]Lafayette, La[br]

Comment

Lets not forget the gas powered blender and the grey poupon.

These are great lists keep 'em comin' !!

SB

Comment

mine is similar to the one posted earlier:

Check bilge pump and float

Radio check

Check DF and GPS

Check fluid level in batteries

Check sacrificial anodes

Water pump Impeller

change water separator/fuel filter

Change Lower unit oil

Boat registration current?

Trailer registration current?

Proof of insurance

Check/replace both fire extinguishers

Check all electrical connections (from console to engine)

Corrosion spray ALL electrical panels and connections

Corrosion spray under cowling

Check all hose clamps and connections and hoses

Check fuel line and bulb

Check Running Lights

Trailer wheel bearings (grease)

Fishing license

Charts

check Medical Supplies / first aid kit (see first aid list)

check anchor line and dock lines for wear

oar

wooden plugs for holes in hull

check thru hull valves

check date on flares

grease steering system and outboard

then check fishing gear list....
                  \'79 20\'[br]savannah

Comment

Salty,

You have e-mail.

Cliff
                    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

The first thing that I would do, is to make certain that you have everything that is required.

You can determine that by doing a self-check using the Coast Guards "Vessel Safety Check" checksheet.

http://safetyseal.net/index.asp

After you know that you are good to go, use the VSC website and find a USCG Aux person in your area to do the 'official' check. When you pass, you will get a window sticker that tells the local CG folks (and your DNR) that you have already been checked and have passed. If boarded, all you do is hand them your yellow copy of the check sheet and you should be on your way in minutes.

Now... on a personal note, one thing that I carry is what I call my 'crash bag'. It is a recycled canvas bag that holds all of my smokes, flares, aerials, first-aid kit, mirror, strobe, dye marker, flashlight, hand-held VHF, and all the other safety gear that you need to keep in one place.

Inside this bag I have two 2-gallon ziplock bags, one labled Current and one labled Expired for all of my pyrotechnics. That way the CG won't ding you for any out-of-date pyrotechnics, and it gives you a 'reserve' supply in case of emergency.

To take the 'bag' idea a step further, I use the same method to store docklines, utility lines (such as anchor and sea anchor triplines), and a separate bag for fowl weather gear, sweatshirts, neoprene gloves, sunglasses, hats, ect.

I have a 'tool bag' that contains tools (natch!), wood plugs, extra fuses, heavy-duty zip ties, duct tape, bottle opener, [] spark plugs, and anything else that might be useful in an emergency.

I've gotten to the point where I'm always on the lookout for canvas bags that might be used to hold 'stuff'. []

Good luck!
                      Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Capt. Kevin those are some great ideas. I have those bags all over the basement from the kids adventures. Now I know what to do with them. dave
                        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Capt, That's exactly the information I was looking for. I hope most boaters are as thorough as you. Thanks!!

SeaReel,

Got the e-mail(s) thanks a bunch. I'll be looking at those as soon as I get home. Thanks again,

Anyone out there have an opinion on inflatable PFD's.. Manual or auto. As I mentioned before, I'm staying within the shore line for the most part. I'm looking for a cheap comfortable PDF.

Thanks,

SB

Comment

not sure if anyone listed a manual bilge pump. bucket, large sponge, or you could try one of these...also fun for the kids and the adults after a few malted tonics.

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/w...roductId=21416
                            91 17 standard[br]mt pleasant sc[br]115 yamaha[br]got mako?[br]

Comment

These are good lists as the spring approaches... worth renewing. Anybody want to add anything?
                              Plymouth, MA[br]02 Hydra-Sports 212[br][br]Sea Hunt 22[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X