Sugestions for new propelers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugestions for new propelers

I need to replace propelers on my Mako 252 (1989) with twin 225 Mariner EFI(1991). The ones I have are SS mirage 23p with 3 blades. What I need to look for?

JP

Lajas, PR
    JAPD

quote:

Originally posted by NonSeaMan

I need to replace propelers on my Mako 252 (1989) with twin 225 Mariner EFI(1991). The ones I have are SS mirage 23p with 3 blades. What I need to look for?

JP

Lajas, PR

JP,

That would depend on what the current performance is like, (IE are you satisfied with the performance, but find the props are damaged?)

OR... What performance criteria are you trying to change?

First;

Are you able to obtain max rated RPM's for these motors? ( I believe that should be somewhere near 5600 - 6000 RPM)

If not, the rule of thumb for changing props is 1" of pitch, typically causes a 200 RPM change in the WOT capability of the motor.

If I were in your shoes, and had low experience levels, I'd find a local shop who has an experienced staff to help you select proper stuff. Selecting the wrong prop can damage your motors (IE" "fry" pistons)[][xx(]

GOOD shops will not only have experience staff to help you get close to what you need for a sea trial, they will have a bank of "trial" props or loaners to install, to help you decide which prop gives you what you're looking for... (In our area that would be a store like Marine Max...)

Good Luck...[]
    Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

An experience prop shop will usually work with you to get the performance you want from you motors. Usually they can rebuild your problem props and you will think that you have purchased new. They can also make changes to the pitch by 1 or 1/2 pitch or change the leading and laging edge cup angles if that what you need. Balancing each prop will also makes a big difference in boat vibrations. If your props have not been totally absued, then consider having them rebult and balanced by a local shop. Probably will be half the cost of new ones (SS props now cost around $400 TO 500 EACH) but you will get the performance of new props.
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

I'm running twin 3 blade, 15x21 if that helps. The shaft output HP is about the same for my 2004 200hp as your 1989 225 hp I would think.
        Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Over the years I have found that it is a trial and error method to get the right diameter and pitch for a specific boat. Starting in, I think, 1986 or '87 the marine engine manufactures started to measure the HP output of a motor at the prop. So, the output of a 200 HP motor is 200 HP - at the prop. The output of a 225 motor is 225 HP - at the prop. Even though it's all HP, each motor is different with the actual HP output (of that motor) measured at the prop. Different hull types, length, weights, and motor sizes all contrubite to what size (diameter) and pitch prop(s) are used on a specific boat. My '73 22 with a 225 uses a 19 pitch when I go off shore fishing (heaver boat weight - lots of extra gas, ice & gear) but I use a 21 pitch for inshore fishing and running around 2 people and 2 rods - no gear. Hope this helps -

Mike
          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Tks guys...

I will follow your sugestions. I will run the boat with the propelers I have and then evaluate If I need to go up or down on the size and pitch. Local dealers are an option but I'm trying DIYS (do it your self) aproach.
            JAPD

Comment

Working...
            X