Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan: when the temp hits 50 in April...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan: when the temp hits 50 in April...

Well, we only cut the shrink wrap back far enough to get to a project that can be accomplished in a few good days (because the lakes are still frozen and it might snow yet one more time!) This weekend was productive, the old twins got new water pumps and seals in the lower units. Only broke one bolt and actually was able to remove it! Found a pump housing that got a tad bit warm and an impeller to match. I think I was riding on borrowed time last season. But when you buy a boat in August and there are possibly only 2-3 good months left in a season.....let's just say I got lucky!

Jackplates up next but will be 2 weekends out due to the fact we have to got to Chicago next weekend.

Michigan Dave, looks like you got another Michigan Mako down there in St. Joe. The welcome new member thing on the home page said so!

Welcome Mike from St. Joe MI!
    [IMG=left]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/cmcmjk/xsmallmimako10.jpg[/IMG=left]Mike & Cynthia[br]Word Cat 250dc[br]Elk Rapids, Michigan

You know you will be going within a couple miles of wolfs marine on that chicago trip. Any way you can stop and shop a while. You wont believe all the stuff they have. Have fun and travel safe. dave

Welcome Mike from st joe.(bet you been to wolfs. hehe) dave
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Nice to hear about people in Michigan... I bought a 25ft Mako last fall and am ready to launch into Lake Michigan (St. Joe) to chase salmon/trout...

Stay in touch and let me know how you are doing... my boat name is Sassy Lady...

Mike
      Mike

Comment

Mike, welcome aboard, I was out of south haven last night mostly on a shakedown run. troled for a little while. water temps still in the low 40's. I guess there catching them down at the D.C. cook plant int he warmer water. keep me posted and Iwill do the same. dave
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Welcome Mike,

I'm up near Traverse City and we got our Mako back last August. Dave seems to really be into this thing so it's nice to have someone in the neighborhood who might have the answers!

Michigan Dave,

We got downriggers! Debating on which paint to use on the outboards, still need to do the jackplates. We have an acre of tall oaks and white pines and I cant find one to turn into a sutible "outboard tree". I thought a pic with two hanging would be a farmer's dream! Boats out on West Bay but they are just 14' ers looking for browns and steelies, one confirmed report of JUMBO perch, 12, between 14" and 16" and this guy don't B.S.! The Chicago trip is to take our friend's daughter to visit her mom who had a liver transplant 2 weeks ago and has not seen her since they left! Needless to say I don't think we will be able to stop at your store unless they are open late on Sunday and I get umm.....lost, yea that's it, on the way home! Hoping for the following weekend to see open water again because we are out of fish!
          [IMG=left]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/cmcmjk/xsmallmimako10.jpg[/IMG=left]Mike & Cynthia[br]Word Cat 250dc[br]Elk Rapids, Michigan

Comment

Keep your ears open for info on the Jumbo perch, years ago there was a awsome fishery for them up there but the indians and com. fishermen really wacked them. We catch quite a few down here but havtn been able to find them up your way. And we have Looked!!

What kind of downriggers did you end up with? As far as paint, you cant beat Imron for a tough glossy finish. you will need about a pint for those 2 motors. Use zinc cromate primer. BTW I am not affiliated in any way with wolfs but just manage to give them some of my paycheck every week. dave.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

Keep your ears open for info on the Jumbo perch, years ago there was a awsome fishery for them up there but the indians and com. fishermen really wacked them. We catch quite a few down here but havtn been able to find them up your way. And we have Looked!!

What kind of downriggers did you end up with? As far as paint, you cant beat Imron for a tough glossy finish. you will need about a pint for those 2 motors. Use zinc cromate primer. BTW I am not affiliated in any way with wolfs but just manage to give them some of my paycheck every week. dave.

Mike

Comment

Good to hear all of this talk about fishing Lake Michigan... As I said, just got my boat last fall and am equipping it with fishing gear. The design of boat prevents me from having downriggers go behind outboards... will only be using 2 of them (off the side) together with a trio of divers off each side. Fishing reports out of St. Joe appear to be good with the fish in close or just at the pier head... Used to go down to the nuclear plants and fish around the warm water discharge but since 9/11 can't do that anymore... if you want to contact me on home email, my address is: [email protected]
                Mike

Comment

Dave,

Got the Walkers but went with 2' booms and single rod holders to keep the price down. Jay's in Gaylord had an Easter egg hunt the day before Easter and Cynthia found one for 10% off so we got a good price as far as I'm concerned! I didn't think you were afillated with Wolf's but I still consider it "your" store because you know so much of what they have! I've heard of the perch down your way but have never fished down there. Do you get the jumbos often? West Bay on the "Hump" is what my friend told me they even showed him on a chart! He has a 16' aluminum w/ a 70 Evinrude and I just got all the parts to redo his fuel pump, so he is just as anxious to get out!

What do you guys know about running planer boards for Browns and Steelies? It used to be Bomber Long A's but it's been so long since I trolled in the Spring that I'm not sure what to do once we get out!

Comment

Here is a PIC. after a great night of perching last summer. 2nd or 3rd week of august. We only kept jumbos or hurt ones. Probably released as many as we kept. Just my wife Brenda and myself. 75 perch,(5 over limit)

Those are feliets in the bowl dave.

Comment

Working...
                    X