new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new project

Started a new project today, and it is leading to other things that need to be taken care of. Why should it come as a shock. It started out as changing all the fuel lines on the boat. Fuel fill, vent, Supply to o/b motor. and I found that the coffin cover was not sealed and all the foam was saturated. After giving it some thought I think that I'm going to wait till winter to pull tank and rip out the foam, and replace as necessary. What do you guys think?? I'm taking pictures, but forgot the camera at the boat. Couldn't get new hoses today anyway. Will have to wait till Monday when businesses open. Does this have to be taken care of now or can it wait until winter?? Don
    Don Flowers[br]Port Lavaca, Tx.[br]Mako 224 1985 \"Godspeed\"[br]Yamaha 175

Sounds like my story ... I am still trying to figure out a fuel starvation problem and finally got some guts to take out the access panel to the fuel cell (coffin cover?) to gain access to the sender unit. I had the same discovery, the foam was soaked. At least the spars (what I could see of them) looked sound. I wanted to wait until winter until I did the floor. I woould take care of the foam and other then. Same question ... Can I wait?
    72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

makes three of us. want to pull coffin cover and make sure its sealed enough till winter but afraid of what i may find. have had no, none, any issues with gas odors, flexing in deck, etc. i have been corrected by some learned members here to get it done. i think my question is if foam is wet but stringers good, can i just pull foam, re-seal, and waitn till winter for tank replacement?
      wantagh, new york 86 238

Comment

Your fuel tank may be fine. 5 years ago when I got my 1982 Mako 224 I opened the fuel tank hatch to find everything saturated with water just like you did. My solution was to carefully remove as much of the foam as possible. At the rear of the tank I was able to remove all of the foam down to the bottom of the coffin. I then ran a fan for about a week to dry everything out.

My fuel tank had been coated with a pail green epoxy prior to its installation at the Mako factory. This coating protected my tank even though the foam had been saturated. I only had 2 small areas of oxidation which I repaired using west system aluminum etching kit and epoxy. 5 years later my tank is still fine. Check your tank. If it has the epoxy coating on it your tank may not need to be replaced for many more years to come.

On the other hand I helped out a friend with his 20 Aquasport of the same vintage and the tank had no protective coating and when we pulled his tank it was like swiss cheese. If yours was sealed like mine I think you will be fine. Mine is still the original tank.

Comment

well thats certainly encouraging mako224.
          wantagh, new york 86 238

Comment

I'm in the process of addressing this issue as we speak.I have a 1980 17,the tank on the surface looked ok,until I started removing the foam.Aluminun next to water does alright,but the lack of oxygen is what starts the corrosion.That said,It's just a matter of time before you start smelling fuel in the bilge.Depending on how much time you have,It's a good Idea to replace the tank .You don't want to get in to mid season and have your tank go bad Then it's time ordering the tank,clearing the foam,pulling the tank,wondreing if you should get a larger tank,having to think about what your doing,replacing the fuel lines and so on and so on.I'm still waiting on my tank It's been 4 weeks,If you don't have the time to do it now run with it, you'll probably make it till winter.good luck with every thing
            1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

Working...
            X