1976 Mako 231

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Mako 231

hello, new here. been lurking for a while.

in the process of purchasing a 1976 Mako 231 and was curious.

i noticed in the posted owners manual that they may have come with a 150 gallon fuel tank. the one i am buying has a 75 gallon tank installed and then a custom 75 gallon tank that was added later.

would love to be able to add a 150 gallon tank in the hull if possible by replacing the current 75 gallon that is in there now. any ideas?
    Daymon[br]Jasper, Texas[br]1976 Mako 231[br]Twin 200 Mercs (gone but not forgotten)[br]

If they didn't do restringer work maybe you can pull out both smaller tanks and install the original size tank in the coffin. Don
    Don Flowers[br]Port Lavaca, Tx.[br]Mako 224 1985 \"Godspeed\"[br]Yamaha 175

Comment

thanks Don.

this boat has a 75 gallon tank in the hull as well as a 75 gallon lean post/fuel tank on the deck that was added by the previous owner.

running twin 200 mercs so i have no clue what the range will be but i'll be checking it shortly. i'm guessing 2 miles t gallon on a good day. 1987 models.

would love to have a 150 gallon tank in the hull and keep the 75 gallon on the deck.

need to get out 50 plus miles to the good blue water.

thanks again

daymon
      Daymon[br]Jasper, Texas[br]1976 Mako 231[br]Twin 200 Mercs (gone but not forgotten)[br]

Comment

Welcome Aboard Daymons HookHer.

Please put your city/state in your "Siginature"

You will find this in your "Profile" at the top right of the page.

It help's us help you better.[]

Comment

Wart,

done did.

sorry for the screw up and thanks for a wonderful forum.

Comment

Daymons,

You're running twin 200's on a 23'? [:u]

Max hp on those older 23's was 250. Boat must move like lightning! No wonder the previous owner felt the need to add another 75gals of fuel.
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

yea, older 1987 model mercury 200's.

boat will do right at 55 loaded. []

plenty fast for anything i do.

GAS HOG!! [:-(]

would love to eventually repower with a big 4 stroke but i'll make due for the next couple of years.

thanks

Comment

Are your scuppers underwater?
                ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Repower with twin 140 or 150 Hp 4 strokes
                  I'm suprised you only get 55 mph. Figured it would run faster than that, but who knows. 55 is fast enough for me. Mine has been 62 once.... and I mean once... and it will stay that way. Tail dancing in a 25'mako with 25deg deadrise is not something I enjoyed. [:0]
                  Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

What's the deadrise on those late 70s 23s??
                    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

55 with 150 gallons of fuel, a tuna tower, 3 wells full of water and my 275lb fat butt... plenty fast for me.

no scuppers aren't under water, but close....

Comment

Daymon, I like the touch of Sea Foam Green.[]

Comment

Thanks Wart.

all credit on this boat goes to the previous owner.

chris took very good care of it and it shows. the color is a bit odd to me, even girlie but for some reason it looks good.

thanks again

Comment

Congrats on the boat, looks it it is definately fishable. By the way how is the fishing around there? I grew up in Nederland and fished all the time as a young man. I now live in Florida and regularly fish a 231 over here.
                            [br]Reel Funny Charters[br]Nokomis, FL

Comment

hey Capt Mark.

neat to hear you're from this area. you know the sam rayburn, and toledo bend stories i'm sure.

Sabine Lake has been fairly productive for us over the years, and the causeway as well as the jetties are always solid. i just recently got into offshore fishing so i can't tell any stories along those lines. take care and stay in touch.

what year did you leave the area, graduate etc.?

Comment

Working...
                              X