1987 248 single on bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 248 single on bracket

I have just logged in and I am looking for any feedback on a 1987 248 with single power.This would be my 4th Mako.Positive or negative welcome,boat is clean and will be getting new power.Any owners outthere??
    Dan LI NY

Welcome to the "family" I am sure there will be some valuable info. to help you. Could you put your location in your signature area of your profile. that way we know what part of the country your from when guiding you towards a part or service source. thanks dave.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Funny you pop in with a 248 tonight. I was supposed to leave this afternoon to pick one up in Miami. Got setback due to trailer/boat registration in one name seller in another, but I'll sign for so and so.... You get the point. Good people, just a spread out family with a boat to sell. Anyway, I'm not an owner yet and a 248 is not my first choice but I'm going with it for a few reasons (ie: I recently took another long drive to inspect yet another "the boat is solid" but slightly rotten 25. I need a boat for this season and no time for the fiberItch...). Mine (soon to be I hope) is a dual bracket not single. But I've done alot of research and applied past experience to make my decision. The SheliBeth is for sale here and he would probably be a good source for info. Seems like the majority are dual engine 248's which is the only reason I dropped into this thread, haven't seen many singles so figured I'd drop in for whatever it's worth. If you want to share info I'm here PS: I wouldn't shy away from a dual if you want single, you could easily modify a dual for single use. []
      John[br]Lafayette, La[br]

Comment

Thanks to scubadude and Mich.Dave.I am on L.I. and have been on a quest to replace a 1979 CC I had when I was too young to appreciate it.That boat was literally the cleanest 25 I have yet to come across.Now I need a cabin,family etc.I am a very concerned about the boat being under powered with the single.I would love the twins but I generally work with a annual budget.I am a fanatic and go overboard with service items every Spring.Bottom line is 2 cost twice as much.I was to Rex marine last weekend and saw the Sheli-Beth.I did't pursue it because the one with the single became available.I havent purchased the boat yet,I will have to act pretty soon.Don,t know how long it will last.This boat needs new power and I would buy a 250 HP,I also believe it needs a XL shaft motor.If Rick O reads this, a little FYI they are advertising your boat with 1987 motors.
        Dan LI NY

Comment

As far as the horsepower goes: I see alot of 248s and 240s with twin 130's. That's only 10 horses more than the 250. But, horsepower for horsepower you will always end up with better performace with one engine due to the fact that you eliminated all the drag associated with the second lower unit and prop. I think a 250 with the rite prop should do the trick, may not be a speed demon but should be ok. I would lean toward a high pressure two stoke since they are a little more spunky that the 4 strokes (Verado Included [;^)] ). Still waiting on my seller over here...
          John[br]Lafayette, La[br]

Comment

Thanks Scuba,will know if my deal goes by this eve.
            Dan LI NY

Comment

Thanks -Just saw this. Yeah the engines are 1993's. I will have to let my broker know he has to fix the listing.

Best,

Rick[]

Comment

While I sorta agrre with this statment there is another factor.
                quote:

But, horsepower for horsepower you will always end up with better performace with one engine due to the fact that you eliminated all the drag associated with the second lower unit and prop.

The twin motors do create more drag, but you have to figure that with 2 prop's you have twice the bite or push too.

Comment

I have a 77 25cc with a single 250 yami. It cruises at about 33 and does the trick. Would be nice to have a pair of etech 175s but they are not in the budget as of yet. My boat gets great performance out of the single.
                  Rooster[br]1977 25CC[br]New Orleans, La[br][br]

Comment

Thanks to all for the info.I sold out and purchased a 23 Grady Gulfstream.I took a 4 hr ride to see her and left MD that afternnon with her in tow.I had been looking for one for quite some time and if you wait long enough the right deal comes along.
                    Dan LI NY

Comment

Great boat. We still want pictures. [][]
                      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Tried to leave a pic but got real frustrated.For anyone looking that 248 is available.The owner was willing to take 7k.It needs a repower and some sweat equity but a nice solid base.Eastern LI,the seller seemed like a nice enough guy and I told him I would pass it along.For those in LI bass and fluke regs approved,check em out.
                        Dan LI NY

Comment

Working...
                        X