Mako Hull Deck Transom Core Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako Hull Deck Transom Core Materials

Is there a good thread on how Mako cored thier boats over the years?

Where they used marine plywood, where they used balsa and or a foam/synthetic, years affected etc.

Any Makos with solid glass hulls?

quote:

Originally posted by SenZBar

Is there a good thread on how Mako cored thier boats over the years?

I don't think we have any threads on such a topic. But heres what I know.
    quote:

Where they used marine plywood, where they used balsa and or a foam/synthetic, years affected etc.

I don't think they used much in the way of marine plywood in their transoms or decks. I think they mostly used A-A or A-B plywood. Not sure what kind of plywood though. The stringers all seem to be made of pine or something cheap and light like that.
    Threough the 1970s and into the 1980s the decks onthe Makos were all plywood encapsulated in fiberglass. Somewhere in the mid 1980's Mako began placing a foam type composite (divinycell or klegecell) in portions of the decks where they figured that owners wouldn't be mounting accessories.

Take these diagrams for example where they show the plywood reinforcement in the Mako 224...

And in the Mako 231...

I can tell you that my deck has had ZERO problems in the plywood cored areas as well as the composite cored areas. I honestly have only heard one complaint about problems with the deck sections cored in composites... and it was a boat built in the mid 1990's.

Somewhere in the mid 1990's mako experimented with some composite stringer materials and transom materials (so I have heard). I have never seen or heard firsthand testimony about the boats or problems with their transoms or stringers.

I do know that a friends 1998 Mako 221 has a Plywood cored transom... as I have drilled a few holes in it to mount a transducer. Not sure what his stringers are made from, but probably wood.

I'm not sure if they ever used balsa anywhere on their boats. Maybe someone else can help there.

I'll look through some old Mako brochures and do a bit more research. One day I will get them all posted to the webpage.
    quote:

Any Makos with solid glass hulls?

All Mako boats through the years have solid glass hulls. By that I mean there is no coreing in the hull sides or hull bottoms. Natually they used plywood in the transoms and portions of the decks (some portions are composite). And wood encapsulated in fiberglass for the stringers.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

FYI my '73 23' has a plywood topside deck and a balsa cored inside deck

jbsmako '73 23' mako

obx,nc

Comment

Ringleader JBS -- Thank you, thank you for such a comprehensive reply. Wow it would be great to have those reinforcement diagrams for all the models...

Comment

Just cut out a large section of my deck around and underneath the console and it was all regular 3/4" plywood. The boats a 1977 25 cc.

Comment

Working...
          X