Speaker Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Location

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best place to locate stereo speakers in a 231? I already have two mounted on the center console facing aft, but I want to put a couple more somewhere in the front of the boat where they will sound the best.
    Jay Stipe[br]Tampa, FL

whenever I mount them on boats, I usually mount the on either side of the console under the gunnel height. this lets the sound kinda bounce around. I sometimes mount a second pair in the front deck facing stern, but I dont know for sure if you can get wires up there on your boat.
    Tampa/St.Augustine FL[br]retired: T.A. Mahoney Co.[br]Full time student Flagler College[br]

Comment

Does your boat have the rectangular inspection plates up neer the front seating area? Those make a awsome place to mount 2,7 inch speekers. Just done it and it works out great. Have seen other Makos with them there also. dave
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I don't have the rectangular inspection plates. Is it OK to cut 7" holes in the fiberglass up near the front seating area? I'm hesitant to do it unless it's pretty common. My other thought was to build speaker boxes out of Starboard and mount them with screws in the side rod-holder cutouts. Any suggestions?
        Jay Stipe[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

Does your boat have the rectangular inspection plates up neer the front seating area? Those make a awsome place to mount 2,7 inch speekers. Just done it and it works out great. Have seen other Makos with them there also. dave

How hard did you find it to fish the wires back to the console?
          ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Good question Justin. I am getting ready to mount my speakers and thought the inspection plate holes would be idea. But , getting the wires back to the console is gonna be tough.

How do you other folks do it?

bc
            Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

What I did on the 25 was run the speaker wires forward to the anchor locker, disconnct the bow light, connected the speaker wire AND a piece of monofilament to the bow light wire and pulled both through under the console. Then, reconnected the mono to the bow light wiore and pulled it back the other way. Not sure where the wires actually went, but they are going from radio to speaker... []
              Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Annie2

Good question Justin. I am getting ready to mount my speakers and thought the inspection plate holes would be idea. But , getting the wires back to the console is gonna be tough.

How do you other folks do it?

bc

Well, you're lucky--at least you had the luxury of wiring your bilge and such with the deck off. Fishing those wires is no fun to say the least!
                ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I have a 231 and mounted 4 x 6 speakers forward underneath the gunwales facing down. They are out of sight and weather--works great.

Comment

SPEAKERS????????? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN SPEAKERS???????

THIS IS A FISHING BOAT!!!!!!! IF YOU WANT SPEAKERS GET A SEARAY!!!!!!

[88][(#)][88]

Just kidding......mabee not.

Comment

Careful on the port side....A lot of older ones have the view plate for Fuel Fill and Vent tube observation, and some of those tubes are hidden behind foam...

If your taking a jigsaw to that area also sniff for possable fuel fumes that may have snuck below. well vented area and safety first.

My last 3 Mako's have had the speakers cut into the freeboard in that area forward, and to either side of the leaning post aft.

Im thinking of adding an amp and some drivers under the console, its cheaper than buying 4 strokes to hear the music...[:x)]

Jim
                      June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

Working...
                      X