need an electronics box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need an electronics box

Hi all, I need an electronics box to mount in my T- top. Problem is, I'm not spending $300 or more! I could make it out of 1/2 cabinet plywood, and glass it and/ or epoxy paint it - for about $75..plus I'd have 3/4 of a sheet of plywood left.. any comments or ideas?

Thanks, Mark
    \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

That's exactly what I'm doing. Hopefully starting this week... just need to get the top back from worthless Marine Fabricators (It's one thing if they tell you "it'll take two weeks", but it's another thing if they tell you "it'll be done monday" and then "by the end of the week" and still no returned phone calls. [!]).
    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

So...are you gonna use plywood? With or without fiberglass? I'd love to see pictures. Some design ideas, though, are: stopping leaks through upper mounting bolts..a watertite fitting to put the wires thru..you can buy a small hydrolic pushrod to hold the lid up, it would be nice to have a clear 'glass' lid, to see thru when it's really bad out..

thanks, Mark

And you think a week or 2 makes much difference?? I gave a tilt/trim to my local crapola "Marine" place. LAST JUNE. Gonna pick it up "next week"!

Comment

quote:

a watertite fitting to put the wires thru.

The Blue Sea's Cable clam's are the only one's I'll use anymore.

Comment

Got it, wart, so it's one of these things per cable...radio antenna, gps antenna, power cables..I'm gonna keep my depthfinder on the console (I think), what's that last picture with the 3-screw thing?

And are they really waterproof? Where do you mount them, on the bottom or the sides? My t-top is canvas. Should I put drain holes through the bottom of the box, because, you know, it's a 'waterproof' box! Thanks for all.

Mark

Comment

I'll be using 1/4" ply and prolly only one layer of glass, but I'll cover the inside with resin too. I'll be sure to post pics. I'll be building my entire new console this week.

I won't be building a box in the normal sense of the term. Mine will only be about an inch taller than the height of a VHF, and both the VHF and CD will be flush mounted. I don't like bulky stuff.
            \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Working...
            X