Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im lookin at a restored '70 220 mako

hello

ive been reading post on this site off and on for that past, i dont know 12 months. Every one on here seems to be more intersted in the FUN aspect of boating rather than all the other BS that goes along with. After being reemed a few times on THT.com, i refuse to go there any more. I dont like them all that much. So, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Nathan, Im an alcoholic out of bradenton, FL. JK about the alkey []

RIght now Im lookin at a 1970 restored mako, its a 22' with a 1990 200 hp o/b. After searching the site I haven't seen any info '70s 22's. If all looks well I hope to be a new (or classic) mako owner. I know about all the things to look for in a boat when purchasing. I would like to know about any flaws that might be in the old 70's makos that im not aware of? any input would be gratly appreciated.

O and rudeattitude and mrdelgado, I absolutely love your boats.

peace and thanks

Nathan
    Bradenton, FL[br]1970 Mako 220[br][br]

Welcome Aboard Nathan. Please put your hometown/state in your siginature box. Tou will find this in your "Profile". That's at the top right of the page. Scroll down a little and you will see the siginature box. Then after you have put your hometown/state in that box, click the submit box at the bottom.[]

The early model's do have a flaw,as far as I'm conserned.

It's in the cover that's in the splashwell to acess the bildge.

The factory also put the batteries down there.

Not to worry, we can help you get that fixed.

I like to see the batteries moved to under the console and an Armstrong 10X20 hatch used to replace the factory hatch.

I'm not talking about a lot of money to change this stuff and it will make the boat much safer.

Comment

that is one of my concerns, the splash well. Im hoping I could put a piece of starboard or seaboard or whatever to keep the water from coming in and swamping me. Those cut out transons freak me out.

BUt i haven't seen the boat yet, so i wont jump to any conclusions just yet. WE shall see. Fingers crossed that it everything is the way it should be.

Comment

Knotty, thanks for the love! I'd be happy to answer any questions about my 1972 22'. Bobby mention some concerns with the 22, but I took the cheap way out to fix those and just bought hinges and a latch for the bilge access hatch. I did the battery under the console route, but space it at a minmum with this boat, so i put the batteries back in the bilge. As far as water coming over the transom, I fish the mouth of the merrimac river in mass and it's considered the roughest mouth in the northeast and I never had water come over the transom while drifting. Ask away if you have more questions and welcome!
        [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

The reason I suggest the Armstrong 10X20 is we want that hatch watertight. The Armstrong hatch does this the best. It's fine if water get's in the splashwell. We just don't want it to drain into the bildge.

The owner of my boat before me had the boat go out from under him. That hatch was the "One" of the problem's. Here on the Gulf Coast, it's not uncommon for wind to be comming from one direction and waves from 180deg diffrent. The boat lay's with the wind, then the waves wash over the transom of a notched transom boat.

Comment

Back at cha brotha... I'm feelin the love.... Thanks. You wouldn't want to see the ol' darlin now though. She's in a bit of rehab... but she'll be bionic in another 1 1/2 months... before the get- together.

Stick with Wart's recommendations on the battery and the Armstrong hatch. Best way to go with the 22's stock setup IMO.
            Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Nathan,

Welcome to the board! [] Bunch of nuts here -- but we're reasonably well behaved. There are a few guys here in Tampa Bay with the same boat.

In addition, we have one of the most experienced Mako tech's anywhere, here in Tampa. Lou Baquero has been working on Makos forever. If someone can get batteries moved from the bilge to the console, he can do it. Give him a call at (813) 877-1939.

Prop Blast
              Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

thanks you all

i will see her this weekend and make my decision. Being boatless is making me insane, especially since i moved to florida from cali.

I will try and post a pic so you can see it, It looks very promising.

peace

Comment

maybe this worked, ionno

Comment

who da man

Thats right im the man!!!!!

ahaahahahahahah[]

whatcha think?

Comment

Look's nice from what I can see.

Good job on the pix.[]

Comment

Man I like that rig.

Sweeeeeet

Makes me want to move up from my 191.
                        Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

Knotty, what do you plan on using the boat for? I forgot to mention in my previous post that one of the drawbacks to that hull is that it doesn't have much deadrise. So it's not a very comfortable roughwater boat, 3-4' foot plus waves. That boat looks great! Makes me want to get a T-top for my 22
                          [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

I saw the boat and it looks really good. exactly what im after. the restore was done very well. He redid everything from the bait well to the bow. the transon is still orginal,(another project for a different day). I dont think it will be a problem anytime soon since he hangs it by the transom and bow. there wasn't any cracks or bowing out in the transom from the motor. Engine didnt hick-up once when we took it out, and started right up. No problem there.

lets just say its being bought.[] I also like it because it has looks of potential to have things done to it.

sorry no pics, i was to ecited and i forgot

Comment

Good lookin' ride... First 220 CC I've seen...
                              Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X