1979 Mako Transom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Mako Transom

I have noted quite a few of the older Mako's have had the transom reworked. Is this to allow for better engine flexibility, higher transom for following seas, or is there a rotten transom issue I should be watching for.

I only have this boat for a year - but have not noted any unusual stress cracks or other indications of problems.

Any thoughts?[8D]

Your pretty much right on on your assumptions. Some of us rebuild to raise the transom to keep the ocean out of the boat, some to add a bracketed outboard, and some because it was rotten. Many of us do so because of a combination of those listed reasons.

If you don't see any stress cracks and don't notice any transom flexure under power or when shifting. Then your probably okay. You can do the tap test with a plastic hammer to check for delamination or soft spots (dull thud absorbed by the transom is bad/a sharp tap that bouces back at you is good). But to look for moisture you need to either use a moisture meter (hard to come by) or remove 1 or 2 of the motor bolts, a thruhull, or screws holding a transducer or trim tabs. Examine the wood carefully for wetness or rot or dryness.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Thanks - I'll try the plastic hammer deal, once the weather warms up a little.

Comment

Working...
      X