25" Motor on 20" Transom?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25" Motor on 20" Transom?!

I know, I know... I'm going to get a lot of "You doofus, of course not"s.

I've got a good line on a DT140 from a source I trust for only 2 grand. The catch is that it's a 25" shaft. Is this a big no-no, or is there something I can do that can make this motor work? [?]

(The alternative is buying the old Grady White in the dealer's lot with a 20" fuel-injected Suzzy 140 for $4500.)

Now I've got thoughts of enclosing the transom and adding a bracket. Should I suck it up and let this deal go, despite my primal urges to have this motor? Or should I pull the trigger, lose ANOTHER boating season, and dive into another project on an otherwise ready-to-go boat?[V]
    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

I have seen brackets for cutaway transoms that have a 5" rise to the back end. You don't need to modify the boat, just install the bracket and put longer control lines on.
    Richard[br]Miami[br]Pearson Flyer 30

Comment

Ok, that's encouraging... anyone got a link or some pics so I can wrap my head around this better? []
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

I can't remember the brand of the one I saw, but any of the manufacturers could make you one. Keep in mind that you don't need too much setback, as the transom cutaway will allow full tilt regardless of setback.

Another option is a jackplate. Does'nt have to be hydraulic-fairly cheap solution. One concern I would have is that the leverage against the transom will increase. Could cause fatigue unless it is beefy enough.
        Richard[br]Miami[br]Pearson Flyer 30

Comment

I have a jack plate on my 17 and I dont think its a good idea on a stock transom. I beefed up my transom and I had to lower my jack plate due to the high load on the top of the transom. Just my oppion, but I think I would look for a 20" because by the time you rig it youll have close to the same amount in it.

Comment

I have seen lot's of 25 inchers on 20 transoms......Jackplate.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=59179

Comment

I don't think rigging cost is a factor; My DT75 cables will work with the DT140, and I bought used top-mount control to use anyways. I'd probly be able to sell my DT75 to the marina and only be about a grand into the larger motor.

And what's the worst that can happen? The motor rips the transom off, I rebuild it, enclose it, and add a bracket! [:x)]

So Alcedo, those T-H jack plates work fine? I don't believe i've seen too many around here.

Comment

I guess they work fine, then again don't suppose we would see any that ripped the transom off on the water [88]

A lot of flats guys use 20 inch motors here on their boats with this set up due transom height. Other than the motor sticking up 5 inches I can't see a problem. I would most definitly use some kind of backing plate for the bolts, like a big piece of aluminum channel to reinforce and distribute the load. I was gonna use this idea with my 22B, 20 inch transom....but finally found a 20 inch motor.

Comment

I've also had these thoughts, but am hesitant.

On a small boat, what is the effect of raising the motor 5" ? Doesn't that raise the center of gravity and make the boat more tippy?

And for anyone who might see any such motors, I am kind of looking to replace my Suz DT140 (nothing wrong with it) with a Suz 150 or 200, but want a 20" motor (just want more ponies).
                  NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this DT140 this afternoon. I'll keep you guys updated.

A backing plate on the inside of the transom is a very good idea. I think I have some 1/4" T6-6061 in my Dad's garage.

Comment

I have an older version of that motor on my 20 and I cant say enough good about it. It ought to make your 17 haul butt. Dang Mubiks your spending some coin on your 17 lately. All nice upgrades. dave.
                      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I'm getting a real freakin deal on this DT140, IMO. The 75 is a great motor, and only slightly underpowered. But my primary use of the boat will NOT be fishing *GASP* but towing a skier. I just feel that I'd rather have the motor not work so hard, for the sake of longevity.

I should be able to sell my DT75 locally fairly easily, which will take care of half of the motor cost. Dad paid for the t-top. The bulk of my expense is yet to come! (Blue Sea switch panels, AM/FM/CD, leaning post, ski pylon...)

Comment

Hay Mub, maybe I should put that 75 on my sons 13 whaler, he always did like a scary ride. hehe He reciently did some traden for a almost new 30 merc. and thinks he will blow some bikinis off with that. (he is just 13 going on 18) Skiing is always a cool way to spend time on your boat. I still ski once a year for 5 minutes just to show the kids the old man can still "get er done"
                          [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                          X