X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat wash

What's a good boat wash and polish for 15 year old faded gel coat?[8D]
    Doug[br]Montegut, LA

For boat wash, I use 2 parts of Orpine boat soap and 2 parts of the Zep orange 'citrus' cleaner to a bucket of water, and scrub with a stiff bristle brush on the non-skid, and a soft brush or sponge for the smooth surfaces. Regular washing with this solution will brighten the gelcoat to like-new and keep it that way. It won't remove your wax either.

If the boat is heavilly soiled, you can start with the orange Zep straight out of the bottle. If that doesn't work, try using Simple Green straight from the bottle, but beware because this product can strip your wax finish. For really tough stains, Chlorox soft-scrub or Barkeepers Friend on a 3M pad or scrub brush are your go-to items.

Once you have a clean machine, waxing will depend on how chalked or faded the gelcoat is.

For moderate cleaning of chalked surfaces, use Collinite 920 fiberglass boat cleaner, 3M's Finesse-It, or Woodys Ultra-Gloss compound. You can do the prep and wax work by hand, but I don't recommend it.

The best results can be had by using a high-speed buffer (with speed control) such as the Makita 9227. You will get a better result and your arms will thank you when you're done!

Once the gel coat has been clean, prepped, and is smooth... wax the glass with 2 coats of a good carnuba wax such as Collinite 870 liguid, 885 Fleetwax paste, or Woodys Carnauba Glass Coat.

To clean and protect your bright work, you can use NeverDull, Woody Wax, one of the 3M metal cleaners and polishes, or any product specific to cleaning or polishing aluminum or stainless. It depends on how dirty or stained the metal is, to determine the product and method used to restore it.

Finally, to wax and protect your non-skid, there are products specifically formulated for the job. My personal favorite is Woody Wax, but make sure that you follow the directions! If you apply too much, it can make the deck slippery.

Hope this helps!

If you have any questions, just ask. I don't have the skills to cut decks and fix fiberglass, but I can detail a boat. []
    Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Redfisher - I second the use of Collinite 920 fiberglass boat cleaner and the Collinite 870 liguid wax and the 885 Fleetwax paste. I use all 3 - the cleaner all over the boat inside and out, the 870 on the outside hull (2 coats with a machine - takes about 40 min w2 people) and the past wax for the complete inside. It usually lasts the whole season but I don't use any soap either - just elbo greese.

Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info. Now I have to get to work on it.[B)]
        Doug[br]Montegut, LA

Comment

Working...
        X