Hydrolic Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrolic Steering

I am basically doing an entire overhaul on my 1985 Mako 254 and I realized that my hydrolic steering lines are wearing away do to chafing. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for replacing the lines and what fluid to use. Is there a marine grade hydrolic fluid? Any help with this along with any procedures would be greatly appreciated.[^]
    Baltimore, MD

you can buy lines from seastar. but I have heard that you can take yours to a hyd. place near you and get them to build you some new ones. just make sure the ends are s.s. you will need to buy the seastar fluid though, other fluids can do harm to the seals in the system.
    Tampa/St.Augustine FL[br]retired: T.A. Mahoney Co.[br]Full time student Flagler College[br]

Comment

Welcome Aboard Fatboy254.[] Please put your hometown/state in your siginature box. You will find that in your "Profile at the top right of the page. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of your profile page and click "Submit".

I had good luck with prices on hyd steering stuff thru Surplus Unlimited.

613 W. International Speedway Blvd.

Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Call (386) 252-5019 * 1-800-842-5403 * Fax (386) 254-4833

Comment

Fatboy254 - Make sure that you only use the hyd fluid that is recommended by the manufacture of the hyd unit otherwise you will get yourself into many problems. Also, if you route your new hyd hoses the same way as the old, you may consider puting them (new hyd hoses) inside of another slightly larger hose in the area that was wearing. The outside hose will take the wear and the hyd hose inside will be untouched. Hope this helps -

Mike
        1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

I realized that I have a Teleflex system and that I can buy the exact hoses, but I just need to remove them to find out the length. Any recomendations on the lenght before I rip them out? It is also recomended that you use Teleflex fluid with the rest of the system.

Thanks
          Baltimore, MD

Comment

Just wanted to know if anyone had changed their hydrolic lines and ran into any problems in the removal process. I thought that maybe there would be some brackets or something holding the lines in place. I used 60lb. test for replacing my throttle cables and it worked out fine, but I was unsure about hangups for the hydrolic lines. thanks
            Baltimore, MD

Comment

over the years, people could have attached zip ties to the lines to hold other wires and such. but you should be able to see those. whenever I rig, I use 1/8in nylon rope/cord. it works great and has strengh to pull whatever you need. make sure you tape the ends of the old hoses when pulling out, because there may be some fluid left. and when running new ones, tape up the ends as well to keep debris out. also I tape one to identify which one is which.
              Tampa/St.Augustine FL[br]retired: T.A. Mahoney Co.[br]Full time student Flagler College[br]

Comment

If you use the nylon wire zip ties for anything that is going to be in the rigging tubes, make sure that you DO NOT CUT THE EXCESS TIE OFF. That will create a very, very sharp edge that could (WILL) probably wear away anything else that is in the rigging tube - even a Hyd line given enough time. If you must hold a bundel of wires together, use some nylon line and wrap it as you pull it into the tube. Also, make sure you pull in at lease 2 spare pull lines (I use at least 1/8 inch nylon light rope) when you have the chance. Hope this helps -

Mike

Comment

your right about the sharp ends on the zip ties. ive rigged many boats where the zip ties were cut close with sharp edges on them. Its real nice when you cut your hands and arms all up. I learned real quick to cut them out whenever starting a new project on a boat. the first time it happened, I had to clean 5200 off my hands and arms, well needless to say acetone burns pretty bad in open wounds.

Comment

Fatboy254 - someplace I read you needed the length of your hyd lines. Without removing the Hyd line(s), see if you can pull another piece or lite rope in alongside the Hyd line. Then go from end to the other end of the Hyd line with the rope - around all the corners and bends. Then pull out the seperate rope (and also pull in another pull line)and measure it. It will get you within inches of the actural length of the hyd hose. Hope this helps -

Mike

Comment

Fatboy 25

For length take a look at the Mako Owners Manual under FAQ / Reference on the Home page you will find that the last page of the 261CC Manual gives Hydraulic Hose lengths for the 254 of 18' for each of two hoses.
                      Capt. Vic[br]Six O Stretch 261CC T200 Js[br]Glimmer Glass/ Manasquan/ Milltown, NJ[br]<i></i>

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Viccapt

For length take a look at the Mako Owners Manual under FAQ / Reference on the Home page you will find that the last page of the 261CC Manual gives Hydraulic Hose lengths for the 254 of 18' for each of two hoses.

Now that is what makes this forum so valuable!

Way to go Capt!
                        Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Thanks Capt. Vic. 18' sounds just about right because that is the length of my starboard throttle cables which run parellel to my hydrolic lines. It would have been smart to think of that in the first place, but I have so many projects on my mind to get this ready for spring that it never dawned on me. This is a big help thanks again!
                          Baltimore, MD

Comment

Working...
                          X