Gelcoat application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gelcoat application

Has anyone ever used a roller to apply gelcoat to the bottom of a hull? Somebody showed me their boat that was done this way and it looked great. I was thinking it might need to be thickened to hang onto the bottom. Any remarks on this?

I had terrible luck with this, but I feel like I should have done it differently knowing what I know. It should probably be thin (consistency of heavy cream) and I would put it on with one of those super smooth rollers just like you are supposed to use for awlgrip etc... As it will be thin you will need lots or coats to get the thickness you need.

All this being said, if you can I would spray.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Thanks for the reply what set up would you use for this situation?

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Which situation spray or roll?
        1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

sorry I meant to spray. Is there anything besides gelcoat for hull sides and bottom ?

Comment

For above the water line there is any number of things including, but not limited to Awlgrip, Imron and Interthane plus.

Below the waterline is different and I am still working on that myself. Much depends on how long the boat stays in the water. There is always antifouling paint.
            1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Mine is always on the trailer except for about 2 days at a time when I head to marathon I was thinking of the gelcoat for the bottom but am having trouble applying.

Comment

Working...
              X