best way to paint a straight line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to paint a straight line?

I am going to be painting the boat and below the waterline will be a different color than above the waterline. What is the best way to ensure a nice smooth line between the two colors. I know that even the slgihtest bit off is exagerated when you step away from the boat. I am going to do my best to try to prevent a crooked paint job.

thanks.
    1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

3M Fineline tape. Place it wher you want it at one end of the boat. Have someone hold their thumb on it so it doesn't pull off. Strech the tape out the full run and with tension it place it on the mark at the other end of the boat.

DISCLAIMER:

There is an art to it. I have a buddy that can just walk up to it and go snap--snap. Done and stright as a string.[]

Comment

that would work however, i am planning on following the contour about 5 inches above the (chine?) Because of this, it will be a curved line. Any other ideas?
      1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

Comment

BAD HABIT - I assume that you are going to paint this line on the hull to match the waterline of the boat. Best thing for this is to dunk the boat mark the waterline all the way around the boat with a marker and then measure up or down the amount that you want. Once you get the boat back on the trailer measure up or down from the water line you just put these and then pencil in a line using pencil or tape like someone suggested. Another thing that comes to mind (but I havent tried this) is to level the boat and then set up one of those new laser levels (which will go around corners so the ads say) to cast a line on the hull where you want it. That lazer line would act as your starting tape line for your first color. Most of the time when I have done a water line, I pull out about 4 to 6 ft of tape at one time, and have someone watching my placement on the hull and they stick it down. Look at it again by eye and if it's not what you like do it over. This methood may take some time but it will give you a good straight line and usually the line is straight enough that you wont see it brcause of curves in the hull etc. Hope this helps -

Mike
        1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

wheres wart?? he would no...
          www.arctekmarine.com 203 982 6322 bethany,ct custom t tops /leaning posts/ arches/hardtops/towers etc

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by arctekmarine

wheres wart?? he would no...

Three posts above yours Jim. []
            Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

yep 3 above mine.........that was pretty dopey of me....lol[:x)][:x)]jim
              www.arctekmarine.com 203 982 6322 bethany,ct custom t tops /leaning posts/ arches/hardtops/towers etc

Comment

Working...
              X