Help! Which 23'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Which 23'?

I picked everyone's brains earlier about which hull would be good for Maine, but I am getting closer to deciding and I have some questions that you vets will, I'm sure, have good answers to.

I have currently narrowed my search down to the following:

All 3 boats have: t-top, gps, vhf, fish/depthfinder, stereo, trailer

1)1978 23' w/ 1994 225 Evinrude w/ apr. 300hrs, new gel coat in 2002, all bolts/screws replaced at same time, 2 batteries in console, recently waxed. 2 45gallon gas tankS, which owner thinks to be original, but I doubt (he has only owned the boat for 4yrs)

Asking Price: $14995...I plan to begin at $12k

2)1980 224 w/ 2000 Suzuki 200 w/ apr. 200hrs, professionally maintained, very clean. Broker not sure about gas tank (110 gallons I believe); will have to ask owner.

Asking Price: $15500...I plan to begin at $12.5k

3)1988 231 w/ 1998 Suzuki 225 w/ 400hrs 130 or 160gallon gas tank (cant recall from specs at the moment)

Asking Price: $18900...I plan to begin at $15500

Here is what I see the pros/cons of each to be:

1)

Pros: Cheapest, well-maintained, well-appointed (very clean), bow-seating, new cushions and lean post

Cons: Small Gas Tanks, potentially need replacing, not sure what type of range this gives me (ie how many hours of operation each fill-up will get me)

2)

Pros: Clean, owner willing to deal, newer engine

Cons: Underpowered (borderline at least) which could burn more fuel, no bow seating on the 224, very open transom

3)

Pros: Very nice helm/console area, bow seating, clean, newest hull, largest fuel tank

Cons: Most costly, 10hrs away from me

I am liking boat 1, but am very concerned about the fuel tank issue, and the range. He seems very eager to sell however...

I also like boats 2 and 3 (love the look of the 231), of course.

If you were me, what would you lean towards??
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

I will address the 224, because that's what I own and all I really know about.

That being said, I don't think you would be disappointed with the 200 hp. That's what I have on mine, and does a real nice job moving the boat along.

You're right about the seating, but I have 4 -5 adults on board all the time and they usually find places to sit. I certainly wouldn't want to fish much more than that on this boat.

With 19 deg. of deadrise it rides pretty nice in the sloppy stuff.

I really don't have a lot of trouble with water over the transom, but it probably wouldn't hurt to put a couple of splash boards on either side of the motor.

All in all I love this boat.

It could really use trim tabs, which I plan on installing this year.
    1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

Justin, go for the 224. I've got one and it works fine. A 200hp hamaha hpdi is what ive got, more than enough. contact me and I will fill you in on the 83' 224 ride and sutability at least, in SD cal. later greenno

Comment

Thanks to everyone's guidance, I've made an offer of $16k on this boat, and it has been accepted:

http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...lk_srclnk_name

Pending survey and sea trial, I'd like opinions on whether 16k for this and a 2004 galv. trailer seems like a good deal. To me it does, but you guys have seen 'em all.

I appreciate any input.
        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Justin,

Congrats!

Where in Maine are you from?

bc
          Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Thanks!

I'm living in Bethel, but will be keeping this in Rockland, (where I was born and have gone for summers all of my live).

Where are you?

Comment

I personally wouldn't talk any more numbers with the seller until the survey is done. I would also try to be there when the survey is done to be able to get insight from the surveyor that you wouldn't get from just a written report. Let the surveyor know that you are going to use this to help you negotiate the deal as it may make the numbers a little different. I paid $250 for my survey and saved $1,500 on the price of the package. The written survey is a great negotiation tool and there will very likely be things in the survey that you can use to get the price down based on their "independent" []evaluation. You find the surveyor, you pay the surveyor, they are working for you.

A good way to find a reputable surveyor is to call around and your last question should be "OK, if for some reason you are not able to perform the survey for me, who would you recommend?" One or two names will come to the top pretty quickly.

Hope it helps.
              -Bizz[br]1985 20C[br]Charlotte, NC

Comment

I agree; I only made this offer to secure the boat, and made it clear that the survey would determine my final asking price.

I will try that tactic w/ the surveyors.

Comment

Hope the survey works out well. I've got the same boat with a '99 Yamaha 250. We love the boat, handles Buzzards Bay well.

Lots of trips to Martha's Vineyard and Cuttyhunk.
                  Cataumet, MA[br]1988 Mako 231

Comment

Hi,

I also run an 88 231 - but the layout and console are entirely different. Check the year. Also, at least in S. FLA, Suzuki's have a bad rep... and poor resale. Use that in negotiating if you can.

Good Luck...
                    1988 Mako 231[br]Miami, FL

Comment

Yep, upon closer inspection, it turns out that they had listed a 224 as a 231.

I retracted my offer.

Comment

Glad to help - I guess...! I will post pics of the 231. Best boat I've ever had or ridden in. Seems to be a bit rare, though.
                        1988 Mako 231[br]Miami, FL

Comment

Yeah, I could not find many of them--only thing of that era that seems rarer is the 241.

Comment

FINALLY settled on this one, and got it for considerably less than he was asking, but was a fair offer:

http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...lk_srclnk_name

Cant wait to pick her up next week! Then it's tinker-time!

Comment

Working...
                            X