new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here

hey guys i am new to the mako world. i just purchased a 22 foot 1973 mako with a 185 evinrude. i was just wondering the total weight of the boat engine and aluminum trailer. i had a friend pull the boat over to my house with a ford 250. i myself have a ranger with a v-6 4.0 engine extended cab. can that truck handle pulling that boat?
    Dan 1973 22 Mako Port St Lucie Fl

You can find your boat specs on the Mako web site. mako-boats.com And you should be able to find your engine's weight on NADA web site.
    01\' Mako BayShark 2100[br]200 Optimax[br]Lakeland Fl.

Comment

without knowing the weight of the boat engine & trailer etc. I would still think your truck would do OK on short trips but that's all I'd do. 22's a heavy sumbitch and you don't want to be towing that without trailer breaks. Just my 2cents. Be careful. This is why for those of us out there in between towing vehicles should keep a Anchor Biatch with a 3/4 ton pickup handy.[] Good luck with the new boat.

SB
      Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

my old chevy s-10 4 cyl pulled my 22 Mako about 43 miles the day I bought it. Not recommended. AT ALL. Sure, it pulled it, but never left 3rd gear. When It got home I felt like the Pilgrims finding Plymouth Rock.

Boat is about 1800lbs, engine 450, trailer 1100 or so..51 gallon fuel tank, gas weighs about 6 lbs./gallon, wet foam below deck adds about 1380 lbs., wet stringers and transom about 650 more,...

I tow mine NOW on my Ford E-150 van..no problem at all, except you're towing a boat, what about those McDonald's drive thrus??????

Flush your tranny every 30k miles MINIMUM. Pay the $150 to prevent the $2850. 3k between engine oil changes MAX. Use synthetic engine oil. 1 can of "B-G 44K" every 7500 miles. Towing a boat a mile or so each way is not the issue...50 + miles..compounds problems - big - time, same as going offshore.

Mark
        \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

My 91 Toyota 4 Runner (6 cyl) pulls approximately 3300 lbs with the boat, motor, trailer, full fuel. The hitch is only rated for 3500 pounds so I try to watch the weight and pull long distances with very little in the 60 gallon tank. Tounge(sp) weight is also important and I've balanced the load and calculated the weight to make sure the back of the 4 Runner and the boat are going to stay with me.

The trailer is an Aluminum dual axle with disc brakes and without the brakes, it would be real scarey with the Toyota. With the brakes, its not so bad and I've have had to stop pretty quickly and was able to do it. So the brakes, weight of the truck, and safety are one thing. Got good liability insurance?

The other thing is that, my little Toyota is working REAL hard. I've got 263,000 miles on the truck and about a year ago before I got the boat, I put a new engine, new clutch, and new cooling system in the 4 Runner. I've got a couple of years on the engine warranty yet, so I'll keep driving it. It's a 5 speed and when towing I never get out of 4th and if I have to cross an ant hill on the highway, I lose speed fast. Even given all of that, I cruise on the highway at 60-65 (flat of course) and have had several 500 mile one-way trips pulling the boat behind me. On one of those trips, I counted that I passed 3 cars in 500 miles.[!] Normally, only 3 cars pass me in 500 miles.[:0]

Low 4WD takes care of the ramps without any trouble, but without it, I would burn up the clutch and who knows what else pretty quick.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, can you do it? Probably. Is it safe? Questionable. Are you going to make it? If you can relax and enjoy the long slow ride, probably.

Did I mention that I'm keeping my eye out for a truck with a little (OK a lot) more pulling power? [] The Toyota works for now, but not for the long term or the long hauls.

Hope it helps. Go slow and good luck.
          -Bizz[br]1985 20C[br]Charlotte, NC

Comment

I pulled my 79 21 with a 6 cyl Jimmy. It did an ok job down here in flat country. We made several trips to the keys. I now have a Tundra and the difference is night and day. If you are going to use your ranger get a trailer with breaks. You will also need to keep good tread on those tires, seen way to many trucks spinning wheels at the ramp. Worst case you now have a good excuse to buy a bigger truck.
            1987 231 with 200 Yamaha[br]Stuart, Fl

Comment

Makodan76 - I have a '73 22 and a 1974 and a EZloader roller trailler rated for 6500 pounds. A few years back when we were taking the boat across to Marthas Vinyard for a week of fishing, they weighted the boat and trailer - total weight was 4550 pounds. Since then I have redone the trailer and have estimated it's weight at about 1300 to 1400 pounds. That leaves the Mako boat, motor, 50+ gals of gas and gear - fully loaded to drop in the water at about 3150 to 3200 pounds. I have towed it with 2 different vechiles - both have V-8's and have never had a problem. The trailer has tandem 15 inch wheels and brakes on the front axel - all of which I would cosider a bare minimun for towing any distance. I have never needed to used the brakes hard during my many towes, but they are there if I need them. Also, the older I get, the more I thing about putting a set of brakes on the second rear axel. Another point is that any trailer can have brakes put on them for a small amount of money compared to what you have on the trailer. When I competely redid the trailer in '95 I put the older style drum brakes on but if I was to redo them now definately would go with the new SS disk brakes that came on the market a few years after I completed the rebuild of the trailer. Oh well - next time. About tow vechiles - The first was a E150 Ford Van with the 351 V8 motor. Strong truck motor and 3 speed auto trans - no cooler with a class 3 hitch and I would not go ANY LIGHTER that class3. I would be able to set the cruze at 65 MPH, turn on the air and never know the boat was back there. Great tow vechile. Got about 9 to 10 miles to the gallon. Now the most recent (second) vechile is an '98 Merc Mountaineer all wheel drive V8 which I like better because of the 4 wheel help at the slippery ramps and for that extra help at some of the dirt ramps I use. The SUV is not as heavy as the van was to keep the whole rig as stable, but it works great on the ramps and has plenty of power for the highway. I do now, however, keep the speed to 55 or 60 as this truck is lighter and doesn't have a stiff suspension like the van did when it was loaded for a trip. Gas MPH is also bad - 12 - 14 MPH but look what you draging. Hope this helps -

Mike
              1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Welcome Makodan! I have the same boat and I have trailer it with pretty much every chevy product out there (dad works for rental car company). The boat weighs 1800, motor 550, fuel 400 lbs, and other accessories +/- 200, and trailor 1100? So you're looking at +/-4050lbs you're towing. So between the blazer, trailblazer, Tahoe, 1500, 2500, 3500 pickups, I have come to realize anything can tow it around town, but stopping is the important thing and the smaller/lighter blazer and trailblazer had trouble. Same goes for highway towing. Mine doesnt' have trailer brakes, so that is a huge factor. So I tow mine with a Tahoe, it's a good happy nedium.
                [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

thanks for the info. i have a total of three ramps within 5 miles. i am just worried about tire spin pulling it out. thats alot of boat and i might have to get a titan 4 door. now i have a reason[] thanks again
                  Dan 1973 22 Mako Port St Lucie Fl

Comment

Working...
                  X