23 makos to avoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23 makos to avoid?

Im thinking about moving up to a 23 mako. I want to still use my 200 yamaha for power. I fish mostly offshore in south Florida but would like to start making summer trips across to the islands. Are there any years that are better of worse, I know the craftsmanship of the early makos is superior but when is the cut off point. I noticed the draft on the 1978 is 2" less than my 21. Is it not as deep a "v". I want to here your opinions so let them rip.
    1987 231 with 200 Yamaha[br]Stuart, Fl

Check here: http://www.mako-boats.com/

The older ones had less deadrise.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Do you use your 75 offshore? That link is where I saw the difference in draft. It does not list deadrise on the older boats. Anyone know what the deadrise is on the 70's 21 and 23?
      1987 231 with 200 Yamaha[br]Stuart, Fl

Comment

I've had mine off about 15 miles. With more reliable power and a good day, its limitless. Change the circumstances and forget it. Mine will not be rigged for offshore duty, but more of a bay boat. That is not to say that I won't be going off several miles.
        1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I have made a 96 mile run in my 224, piece of cake.

Length 22'7"

122 gallons of fuel.

Great ride.

A 224 would easily make the islands on a fair weather day.

Comment

Last summer, over a 24 hour period I did a 200+ mile roundtrip along the coast of Massachusetts chasing tuna. My 1991 Mako 231 powered by a 1998 Suzuki 225 EFI peformed flawlessly.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 23's from the late 80's-early 90's have the most deadrise at 19 degrees.

Comment

JWALKER, my 2 cents worth. got a 83' 224 and i've been offshore many times in my rig. I've got a 2003 yamaha 200hp hpdi and it pushes the boat around fine. I average about 2.75-3.0 mpg with a 112gal tank i've got a range of about 300mi. or so. The boat is dry heading into the swells which is the direction headind out of SD to get outside. Anywhere from 10-20kts. We have some islands close by 10-90mi out but you have to get to them. My buddy's got a parker 2520 and another has a 24'cat and we try to keep in touch when outside. Ive got boat US coverage and all the required coast guard gear. But when offshore it all comes down to YOU. Ive got a liferaft, satphone and some other supplies that i've aquired over the years to know what's needed in a crisis. Back in the mid 80's I sailed my 32 Westsail around the world over a period of 4 years so I know what it is like to be offshore alone. KISS keep it simple stupid. I've got all the confidence in the boat to do what it's supposed to.It's up to me to make the right decisions. The boat is big enought to go wherever you can take it. enjoy, greenno.

Comment

When you go to the Mako site and look up certain models' deadrise and X appears. Any ideas?

jbsmako

'73 23'Mako

obx,nc

Comment

JBS.....

coming to ocracoke in may.......u know a good source for a bathymetric chart for the area.

bringing bad habit if i can get her ready.
                  1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

Comment

Check in with Bob at Tradewinds tackle when you get there. A great source for any fishing info.

jbsmako

'73 23'Mako

Comment

been to Tradewinds plenty when I lived up there.
                      1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

Comment

Working...
                      X