Help with teleflex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with teleflex

I'm having problems with my motos or teleflex? My motors (Mercury 225 efi 1992) are running good(APARENTLY)and they start fast and with good "tone". I suspect thet problem is with the teleflex.

Motor 1 dosn't run more than 1800 rpm in water at full trotle. When you move the shaft forward, you need to go more than half way to acelerate. Out of the water is the same but you get 5000 rpm (must be the absence of resistance, right?).

Motor 2 have good aceleration but, in fordward have a bad noice. Sound like the gear dosnt completly shift. When you runing in reverse, it works fine.

How can I adjust the tflex cables or find if I have a mayor problem?

JAPD

With the engines turned OFF! have a helper put the first engine in gear forward and watch the cable ends you should notice the gear end move first and once it moves its full distance you should notice the carb. linkage start to move. as you helper further pushes the helm controll forward you should see the carb. linkage move into the full forward position. This also advances the timing on many motors unless it has Digital Ignition. As a reality check you can look down the throat of the upper carb and the butterfly should be wide open or near so. Next try the same experiment in reverse./ if your helper has problems shifting into reverse Manually turn the flywheel a little so the lower unit can shift. This is it in a nutshell. If your not comfortable with any of these tests or adjustments I would strongly suggest having it looked at by a pro. Might be money well spent. dave.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I check the cables. The first problem was that the cables were not in place. I move them and now they work better. But the motor that make the noice, (like is not completly in gear when you put it in forward) didnt improve. I take out the leg (transmission case with propeler)and everithing look fine. I change the transmission oil and there was no unexpected metal recidues. The only not normal observation was that the shaft were the propeler is mount have a little loose. You could move it in and out more than in the other motor. Is that bad? Yes, I all ready make arragements for the mechanic but, everibody is bussy with spring break coming!

I apreciate your help.
      JAPD

Comment

Your prop. shaft should not be loose, if it is then the clutch dog cant move into the proper position to engage the forward gear. Have it looked at. P>S> sometimes a good lower unit can be bought off of e-bay for a fraction of the cost of a rebuild. Dont buy anything untill you have it checked out though. Mariner and Merc. are the same/ dave;.
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

JAPD

Go to the boat park by the Club Nautico (Parguera) where they have the store/trailerhomes/ new swimming pool, and take a look at "Veneno" (1978 Mako 25 with twin Mariner 175). I think you'll like it. We had a similar problem with an engine engaging in reverse. changed the control cables and the problem was fixed.

Did you fix the problem with the engine that would not rev up in water?
          Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

I will check up Veneno this week. A mechanic check the teleflex and told me they are fine. I take to boat back to Marina Costa Azul for motor check. They are the ones that originaly fix the motor and I hope they garantee their work.
            JAPD

Comment

On those motors ya have to have the gear mechanism adjusted perfectly. The book will tell you how to do it. Ya line up the cable with an arrow on the housing with it in neutral, that should give you complete engagent in Fwd and Rev. Do not run with it jumping out of gear, you will detroy the gear set. It takes a mech about 5 minutes to do the adjustment.....let him or her do it.

Comment

Working...
              X