fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank

Ive got a lot of work to do on my '72 22' cc but the first thing Id like to do is put in a bigger fuel tank...any body have any ideas and or dimensions for a 80-100 gal tank?

thanks in advance Jake

There are 231 cu.in. in a gallon. You can work the numbers however you want. Just to give an idea: W 36" x D 13" x L 40" = 18720cu.in.

18720 cu.in. / 231 = 81 gallons.

This is just a rectangular tank, not a tank that will have a portion following the contour of the bottom. That not hard to figure out either... 1/2WD x L (of a single triangular section).

Like I mentioned inthe e-mail. You may be able to pick up about 5 glaaons without disrupting the fuel tank coffin. But to really gain capacity, your looking at surgery. Which isn't too bad either.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I have a 1973 22' which is basically the same boat. I had a new fuel tank manufactured to the largest dimensions that will fit in the hatch and it is only slightly over 55 gls. I figure I will have plenty of range with that, but want more gas as a safety factor for a slow ride home due to weather I didn't plan on. So far the only option I am considering is installing a tank under the front seat of the console and running the feed line to a cutoff valve in the main tanks feed line. It is not a hard job and doesn't place any weight in the stern which is where most people I think would opt to install an aux tank. I haven't figured out the numbers, but I am guessing at about an additional 20-25 gls which puts you in the 75 gl range.....plenty !.
      James Havanki[br]Great Mills[br]Southern Maryland[br]1973 22\' still \"in-work\".......lol

Comment

Thanks for your input, I met a guy on Cape Cod last summer with the exact same boat as mine, he had a 100 gal tank installed, he had given me his name and number to give me the vitals on the procedure but of course ive misplaced it, so at this point Im just doing some fact finding!! Im really glad I found this web site!!! I love these boats Ive had a 19cc a 20cc and now my 22cc all early 70s boats, all have seen the big water off the Cape, never a problem..

Jake

Comment

WOW....a 100 gl tank is pretty big. I guess you could put it under the console, but that seems like it would be a lot of work, ie. cutting out the existing compartment, enlarging the hatch or cutting open the floor and then replacing it, would probably want to add a little meat to the stringers...I don't know ? I have heard of putting a tank inside that little step-up in the bow (not really good for anything else anyway) but that is a lot of extra weight in the bow. Of course you could only fill it up when you thought you might need it. I am wondering why you would want that much gas ? I ran mine all the way to the 4th island on the Bay Bridge Tunnel, trolled all day, and ran all the way back and only used 1/2 a tank. Thats roughly a 20 mile trip one way. I don't really have any more ideas than what I may do on mine with an aux tank in the console. Maybe someone else is a little more creative than I am....lol.
          James Havanki[br]Great Mills[br]Southern Maryland[br]1973 22\' still \"in-work\".......lol

Comment

My '73 231 came with 70gal. I've got the room to increase to 90gal. and it will have twin 4 strokes.

Comment

My Mako 224 is stock with a 122 gallon tank under the floor. A 100 gallon tank on a 22 is quite reasonable. My tank is probably about 3 feet by 5 feet and about 16 inches deep. The most I have ever burned in a single trip is 69 gallons. That trip registered 95 miles on my chartplotter between running 45+ miles out and trolling for a couple of hours.

Comment

Hank,

You reading my mind again? I raised the console 8" just for that reason. Got the idea from Dunk. He sent me pictures last year of his aux tank, I will email them to you tomorrow when I am at the office.
                Greenwich, NJ[br]1976 22B

Comment

If that's all the fuel y'all are burning I think I need to come fishing on your boat. I haven't had this 23' long enough to get a good idea of what it burns, but my buddies 25' carries well over a hundred gallons of fuel and he often straps a 55 gallon drum of fuel in front of the console to make it home from a day of fishing.
                  1985 Mako 235[br]Houston Tx./ Biloxi Ms.

Comment

Hankster - I have had that option of extra gas on my 22 cc for the last 24 years now for when we went off shore for the large pelagics. I placed a 3 way gas valve under the console on the fuel line so that I could get to it by opening the hatch to change tanks. The other end of the second pickup gas line (using regular GC approved gas line and a deck tank plug-in fittings) went under and out the front of the console to one (or several) deck tanks that sat directly in front of the console. I have used this often when extra gas is needed and it is very simple and works very well. It has it's good and bad points however: Using these purchased Tempo tanks that I have accumulated over the years, I can place up to 96 gallons temporally on the deck using either the 2, 24 gallon, the 1, 36 gallon or the 2, regular 6 gallons tanks. Down side is that it does take up deck space but with only 2 people onboard most of the time this is not a problem. Nice thing about temp tanks is that you can move them around to trim the boat (and adding an extra 300 to 700# it wil need trimming) for the ride out and after you start to burn of the fuel. I always used up the deck tanks first and moved them forward out of the way as they were emptied keeping my orginial main 51 gal for the ride in and emergencys. Using say a 6 gallon deck tank is also a neet way to check your gas burn rate very closely, as I don't have a flow scan system. When I did these tests, I got some very exact numbers and was able to set up a fuel burn rate graph (RPM's vs GPH) which is real handy to have when your traveling long distances.

Hope this gives some ideas -

Mike
                    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Shep.....Well there I go thinking I had an original idea again....lol. I would love to see what it looks like. I am having a hard time picturing, but I know what I want it to do.

Comment

Hank,

Youve got mail.

Comment

......or not. I can't seem to find the your email address. Drop me a line and I will respond with those pics. If anyone else is interested I would be glad to share them as well. I just cant post the pics from work here.....big brother is always watching.

Comment

Shep....here's my address.... [email protected] ....I will add it to my profile.

Comment

Working...
                            X