Soda Blasting ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soda Blasting ???

Fellas - I'm a new member to the site, enjoy it very much -- for me up here in New England it's enjoyable to read about many of you working or better, using your boats this time of year -- old man winter is really testing us this year!

I committed to myself at the end of last season that I'd remove all the old bottom paint - too many years of bottom paint build-up. I'm wondering if anyone's had an experience with soda blasting? Things to keep in mind, pit falls, etc. Everything I read indicates it's not intrusive to the hull and sounds (at a cost) easier than stripping or sanding.

Thoughts?
    \'77 Mako 25CC[br]East Dennis, MA

I had a friend from the automotive industry bring a portable unit

to strip the bottom on my 191. Worked ok. Did not harm the

gel coat. My plan was to keep the bottom unpainted.

I couldn't get all of the color out of the white so I painted again.

I was concered with the Gel Coat, so I did not go any further. I did not want to create a problem.

We probably pass eachother occationally. I boat on Bass River

and Barnstable Harbor just about every nice weekend.

Capt Bobb

191 Mako

Comment

Probably easier and alot cheaper just to rent a pressurewasher with sand attatchment and get down and cheap with playsand at Home Depot. Its not hard, just 'dont be stupid'...be careful around the waterline and dont loiter in any one place for too long.

I used to be involved with a family business that did ALOT of blasting, based on that experience I think blasting with soda would be alot more expensive and take more time...the equipment is worth alot more money as is the media (soda)...and the soda has alot less mass which means more work time.
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

If you're looking for another option, I used a product called Peel-Away purchased at "Bend-You-Over" West Marine. It worked pretty good but considering I had at least 12 coats to through, I still had to do quite a bit of sanding. A friend used it on his boat that had only a couple coats and he did no sanding. Good luck.
        Tony C.[br]S. Daytona, FL[br]Boatless...for now[br]

Comment

I have removed bottom paint 2 different ways in the last 25+ years and the first, way back in 1980, by grinding - definately is not the way to go and thinking back now, was not good for the bottom. The second time I used a good quality chemical stripper (made for marine paint removal) with no problems. You just need to follow the directions and don't get carried away with large areas. After all the work of removing the bottom paint consider one of the new CSC paints. Spend the money for the top of the line that has a bioside and use a signal coat to tell you when you need to apply more paint. These ablative paints are definately the way to go. You'll never need to strip again. And make sure that you put on a barrier coating BEFORE you put on the bottom paint, otherwise you could end up with blsters etc. Hope this helps -

Mike
          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Thanks for the input -- I thought I would explore any and all alternatives b/f embarking on the stripping method.

CaptBobb - I'm tied up on the west side of Sesuit - spend most of my time flyfishing between Sandy Neck and the Target ship.

Spring can't come soon enough!!
            \'77 Mako 25CC[br]East Dennis, MA

Comment

I've been thinking of stripping my bottom paint also since I keep it on a trailer.

With that peel away stuff, it still must leave a bunch of residue so you have to repaint, right?

Big Dog, I put in at Sesuit 90% of teh time. Maybe we should have a Cape get together at Barnstable Harbor or something.
              Pete[br]MaColAh III [br]93\' 261b[br]HO 200 hp ETEC\'s[br]Cape Cod[br]

Comment

Just soda blasted my bottom last Friday and it was a job. It worked well and did not do any harm to the gelcoat but it took about 8 hrs to do. I had about 8 or 10 old coats of antifouling that i removed. You can rent the machine from SunBelt rentals for 200 bucks/day and the soda is about 20/bag. I used about 15 bags. So for 500 bucks and a full day i got it off with no damage to the hull and a hell of a lot less work than sanding. Don't now anything about the strippers but i cant imagine them being any less time consuming.

Sand blasting is about the same cost if you hire someone to do it but I think soda is definitely more forgiving to the gelcoat.

Ryan

Comment

Hey ktug, the peel-away does leave some residue that you just wash off. What you do is apply the peel away, kinda like spreading mayonaise, and then you put this "wax paper" over it and let it sit for a few hours (actually I think it was 12-24). In a perfect world......you pull the wax paper off and the paint comes with it. Since we live in a "less than perfect" world you may have to use a plastic scrapper or, in my case, you will still have some sanding to do. Like I said, my bottom paint was so thick, the peel-away just made a tough job a little easier. I didn't know about soda blasting or anything like that but I think my next stripping job will use the soda blasting route.
                  Tony C.[br]S. Daytona, FL[br]Boatless...for now[br]

Comment

Working...
                  X