Engines for 1977 25 Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engines for 1977 25 Mako

I'm about to be the proud new owner of a 1977 Mako 25. It's in need of some TLC, but I think she'll make a great boat. I'm considering repowering and was looking for some input.

Could you please post performance & fuel economy info for the following engine configurations:

2x150hp

2x200hp

1x250hp

1x300hp (i.e. Yamaha HPDI)

Also, how much do you think this would weight with gear, twin Yamaha 200's on a triple axle trailer.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

look at mako-boat.com for the specs. see the max hp for that boat. twin 200's will be more than recommended for the hp. overpowering the recommended hp could lead to liability problems or insurance problems if ever there was any type of accident. it could probably handle 400 hp possibly but then you may be asking for legal problems later....is it worth it? maybe

i have twin 150's hpdi on my 254....they do fine.
    1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

Comment

Ive got a single 250 mercury on my 254.

with twins I'd be worried about the extra weight on the transom

bad habit maybe you can shed some light on that.

before you repower make sure the transom is strong enough for the power.

I'd hate for you to buy 2 new motors and then discover you need to have the transom rebuilt.

good luck
      82 254[br]Brick, NJ

Comment

I think the perfect setup for that hull is twin 175s, and I'm talking by experience with it. It can handle the weight well, and it is FAST. Also if neede it'll run on one engine. This model, unlike the 254 is protected on the back from water coming in, so weight is not really an issue unless your transom is rotten. I'm sure twin 150s would be fine too, since the boat (1978 "Veneno") used to have the old 140s.
        Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

My neighbor has a 254 with a pair of 140 4-stroke Suzukis. She runs nice, but is a little under propped. At 4,000 rpms she is making 18 knots. He does canyon trips from NJ here on 94 gallons of fuel (90 miles each way).

Go to the Yamaha web site under outboards and look at the performance bulletins. You can find a similar sized and weight boat with different engines for actual info.

Chris Miller

Mystic Islands, NJ
          Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

I currently own a '77 25 cc and it has 2 1998 150 oceanpros(carbed). I burn about 18 gal./hr loaded and cruise right at 28-30 knts. at 3800 rpms with 17 mirages. The boat will plane on one engine. I have come home on one with 6 people onbaord, and probably 80 gal. of fuel cruising at 18 knts. The 175's may give you a little better performance and speed fully loaded but I don't think they are necessary. If they are the same price I would consider them.

Don't know about a single engine but feel if your going single you need the 300 for performance. Don't think 250 is enough. My boat had twin 115s before I repowered and it was sluggish.

If you fish offshore much i would only consider twins. I like knowing i can make it home if I lose an engine.

Good Luck. Its a great hull

Ryan

Comment

Boy, sounds like we are in the same boat. [] Trying to buy a 25 or something close. I'm with Ryocco on this one. I considered a big single with a kicker. But, if the proverbial stuff hits the fan I think the extra bigger engine is better. SeaTow is great and a kicker will get you home but in heavy seas on one small or no engine it's gonna be tough. I have two 150s on my 24 cuddy now. I like knowing I can drop an engine and still control my boat effectively so I can get to a platform if say there is a lightning storm on top of me. Planing on one is even better. As far as the 175's here is my input. Generally is seems that the 175s will burn more fuel at a given speed than a 150 (Unless we are talking hpdi or other high pressure injection motors, I'm not sure about the differences there, i'm talking carbed). It's possible that maybe you can hit some sweet spot with the 175s that you can't with the 150s which could maybe give you an edge at a certain speed on a certain boat, butmaybe not. But all in all if your not racing your probably gonna be running 26-30 knots for the most part and you will probably see better fuel with 150s and rarely excersise the full potential of the extra 50 horses. The low end get up and go should be about the same for both. I could be dead wrong but that's is what I have noticed in my experience. Hope that helps.
              John[br]Lafayette, La[br]

Comment

Just wanted to follow up so I don't sound like the Grim Reeper here. This certainly depends on what you do with the boat, for a minute I just assumed my situation. I fish the GOM south of LA and usually start about 45nm out and venture to 75ish on good days. Tow service takes a while. If your gonna be trolling mahi 10 miles out of some heavily populated area like Miami, etc then it's a different story. So, I guess we are back where we started... [88]
                John[br]Lafayette, La[br]

Comment

Make sure you have a good transom.I just invested in 200 direct injects,and when we dug into it the boat turned into a major project.I cant wait until its done(about another 2 weeks)My 1977 25 mako was pretty rotted but tearing into it I was able to raise the transom.I also cut away the foward boxes and the aft boxes so I have 22 foot of clear deck space.We biult an aluminum pilot house new fuel tank and added some under deck storage.My mako is going to be a work boat and its going to be a monster.If your going to invest in motors my suggestion is to go ahead and redo the transom,it will be worth the time and effort.

Comment

Mike, you got to post pics of your project, sounds like your doing a bang up job. We thrive on pics of other peoples ideas and plans. Its what keeps the blood flowing and the arms moving. dave.
                    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I brought her home today. I have a smile plastered on my face from ear to ear. This is my first time on a Mako, and I'm very impressed. I took her out in the gulf in some 4 foot seas and she is solid as a rock.

It turns out the engines on the boat were recently rebuilt and ran well enough with a little encouragement. The boat has twin 200hp Yamaha's, and will cruise around 30mph and top out at 49mph. So, for the time being, I've decided to run these.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Here's a picture of the new boat...

-Andy

Comment

Great Idea. Run them until they quit. I have a 77 25cc with a 250 yami. If I had my choice 150's would be the choice however it is not in the budget right now. The rig looks great. I look forward to seeing it in person in May.
                        Rooster[br]1977 25CC[br]New Orleans, La[br][br]

Comment

Congratulations! Your boat looks real nice. If you do re-power I would stay with twins. I grew up fishing on a 1978 25 and started out with twin Evinrude 200's. It would top out around 45 mph (with a full tower) and burn fuel like it was going out of style. It was re-powered with twin Yamaha 150's around 1988 and ran great. Top speed was around 50 mph when new and dropped to lower to mid 40's after 10 years of use. Then the engines were replaced with a single Evinrude 225 FICHT. You had to give it full throttle to get up on plane and to cruise you were running around 4,000 rpm and it was loud. Fuel consumption was almost cut in half, but I wouldn't fish it very far offshore with one engine. The transom was raised almost three inches out of the water with the single Ev which was about the only benefit.
                          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                          1985 Mako 20c - sold
                          Fort Walton Beach, FL
                          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

That is one fine looking hull. And I'm not biased at all. Just looks like a fishing machine []

How are you dealing with the insurance issues? My normal insurance agent wouldn't carry the coverage with the twin 200s (400hp), so after the transom was closed in I went to the coast guard and had them requalify the boat as a 27'er with 400 hp max. This was a little tricky and knowing people on the inside helped, but it was worth it because the boat is fully insured now with no special exemptions.

What props are you running? You may look into having the boat scaled on the trailer as a way to determine if the foam is wet or not.

Just a few suggestions.
                            Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback! I'm definetely going to stay with twins no matter what. I love that the boat can cruise home on one engine.

RudeAttitude, I couldn't agree with you more- these sure are beautiful boats.

I haven't been able to find insurance yet. Progressive wants $2600/year, and no one else I've talked to will insure a 1977 boat. I haven't even gotten to the hp issue yet.

Thanks for the idea about weighing the boat. The Mako specs say the hull weights 2700 lbs, but I find that very hard to believe.

I'm not sure what size props are on the boat now. They're stainless 3 blades and run 5800 RPM at WOT.

Comment

Working...
                              X